Hottest IB sector

Which sector is the best to do a summer internship (and potentially be offered a full time job afterwards) ? I mean sector teams within M&A like TMT, FIG, Consumer, Diversified ind., Oil & Gas, Real Estate etc ? What about ECM or DCM ? Thx for the help!

Choose whichever one you have the most interest in because if you end up there you will be spending all of your working hours covering the industry. I personally like TMT, but all Oil & Gas would be interesting as well. To each his own though…

Depends on the firm but usually TMT is pretty hot.

Healthcare seems pretty lucrative in terms of job prospects. i see a lot more healthcare job openings than TMT.

The CDO desk was the most in demand desk when I came out of school. A good chunk of my analyst class wanted to get placed on the CDO structuring or trading desks. Keep that in mind when looking at the “hottest areas.”

I would do M&A personally, but it isn’t in full gear right now as the economy is still on the upswing.

philip.platt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would do M&A personally, but it isn’t in full > gear right now as the economy is still on the > upswing. I have never done I-banking, but I would think M&A would be one of the best groups. You can always switch to a boutique M&A advisory role, corp development, etc.

Yeah, do what you love, not what is in style. It’ll pay off over the long run. If you don’t love anything and find yourself neutral, then go for a cold sector. Over time, cold sectors will get hot and hot sectors will cool down. By positioning yourself as a big fish in a little pond when the game is elsewhere, you will make out like a pirate when your day in the sun comes along.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- >By positioning yourself as a big fish in a little > pond when the game is elsewhere, you will make out > like a pirate when your day in the sun comes > along. Wow, there’re more metaphors in here than ways to say snow in Inuit.

I recall reading somewhere that it’s not actually true that there are 29 ways to say “snow” in Inuit. In fact, the number is more like 17. :slight_smile:

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Black Swan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > >By positioning yourself as a big fish in a > little > > pond when the game is elsewhere, you will make > out > > like a pirate when your day in the sun comes > > along. > > Wow, there’re more metaphors in here than ways to > say snow in Inuit. Hahaha, touche

either ECM or DCM. never worry about deal-flow drying up. there are just THAT many deals you can do for sectoral coverage…

I’ve heard ECM/DCM is kind of boring cuz you don’t work on a real deal - mostly IPOs and debt/equity issues. Not that working on an actual deal is not boring at times but still.

M&A for infrastructure is something that most intellectuals go for. It is not that exciting and dynamic relative to other industries, but it challenges the mind a little more than others.