How are so many people on this forum passing

when they can barely speak English and cant write? I did not ace the verbal GMAT or SAT, but some of these posts are embarrassing. Putting CFA next to your name will not mean a thing when you follow up by writing a letter or email to someone that looks like it was written by a child. http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?13,610660

That’s def a foreigner, you can tell by the errors. The majority of them won’t be writing much, just analytical. And I’m sure they’re aware of their writing abilities- they have someone look over their cover letters before they send them.

Maybe they will be working in their home country and will be speaking/writing in their native language.

Yeah, some of the “English” on this forum is an atrocity. It’s a good thing that native English speakers are satisfied with foreigners simply speaking English rather than foreigners speaking English well. Probably another reason among many that English has caught on (unlike German, for example, where the native speakers take offense to crappy German non-native speakers).

I lived in Germany, I think everyone was very helpful as I tried to carry on conversations with my very spotty high-school German. That was Dusseldorf, overall a very friendly city. Maybe kkent encountered more resistance in locales overrun by tourists?

Darien, a while ago I was thinking about learning German, but it was recommended to me that I not waste my time (if my desire were purely professional) because anyone who counts in Germany speaks English and they strongly prefer speaking in English to non-native German speakers. That stuck in my brain because native English speakers don’t care how bad you speak it, only that you speak it. But I have no first hand knowledge like you.

English certainly rules in the European business world, consider it the de facto lingua franca (kind of like Esperanto, but there are better songs recorded in English). If I were picking up a language for business use, I’d consider Spanish and then the right one of the Chinese languages (is that mandarin?).

I say English is the most important language in the business world and finance. I speak mandarin and english, and most of the business terms in chinese business text books are direct translations of english words. For example, Return on Investment = tou zi bao cho lui = “investment profit rate” Just sounds weird. I attribute that due to most business books are written by Englishmen/American and then raped in translation by liberal arts bilingual scholars.

As far as some people on this forum are concerned, you can’t really expect guys named Varoon or Sun’ Huy V Chai speak fluent English. It’s a miracle they can actually read it.

I have seen much worse posting. By seemingly native English speakers. Nobody cares about grammer and spelling on online posting anyway.

Yea, n u kin go 2 da Derek Zoolander School For Kids Who Can’t Read Good And Wanna Do Other Stuff Good Too

I hope you realize some of these ‘illiterate’ people will probably make more money than you and I combined. Just to give you some sense of perspective.

If a guy/girl can give me good recommendations on BUY/SELL, I really don’t care in what language or how well he/she speaks. Based on my experience, I will bet my $$ on a guy who speaks broken languages than a smooth talker. Believe me!

aic, the fact that they can barely speak english and are able to pass these CFA exams says a lot about them. it shows that they’re dedicated and able to learn twice the amount than the average person is able to learn. like i said before, lets see you pass the CFA in another language. most of the post on here are atrocious because people are typing this while they’re doing something else. its a casual chatroom environment here. no need to hold it against them.

zigy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have seen much worse posting. By seemingly > native English speakers. Nobody cares about > grammer and spelling on online posting anyway. Zigy, you might want to check your own spellings before criticizing others. It’s grammAr not grammEr.

nbkn9xu Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > zigy Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I have seen much worse posting. By seemingly > > native English speakers. Nobody cares about > > grammer and spelling on online posting anyway. > > Zigy, you might want to check your own spellings > before criticizing others. It’s grammAr not > grammEr. I think his incorrect spelling is in harmony with the point he was making.

>Zigy, you might want to check your own spellings before criticizing others. It’s grammAr not grammEr. Whar took you so long?

I’ve actually met people with names such as “Varoon or Sun’ Huy V Chai” who spoke fluent English, sometimes better than those who grew up in Canada. I don’t see what you find so “miraculous” about it.

jj