How are the scores calculated

Hi Guys , Any idea how are the scores calculated -Niki

they count up how many questions you got right and divide it by the total number of questions i.e. Total number of questions answered correct / 240

Is that like the HPR? I’m so confused–all this complicated math…jokes

then how much score is required to pass on an average

This one’s been discussed quite a lot. In short, nobody knows - the institute does not publish actual scores or the passmark. You’re only told your topic breakdown as <50%, 50-70% or 70+%. The rational is that the institute does not want people “ranking” the quality of their CFA designation based on the difficulty of the paper (all CFA designations are equal although some are more equal than others). Based on estimates assuming midpoints between the bands, I think it looked to be about 65-70%.

Thanks for lot , Atlast i have some clarity on this

ive heard they use the angoff method. eg take the avg scores of the top 1%, and then take 70% of that to get the min pass score. ie if the top 1% get 95%, the MPS will be 66%. therefore its not always giong to be as high as a 70% MPS happy to stand corrected on this though?

FYI the method you mentioned is not the angoff method, but yes CFAI uses the angoff method to determine the MPS. The 70% of the top 1% rule was used previously I believe, but now the Angoff method is used. In any case, just go by d11j0d’s post. djjk1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ive heard they use the angoff method. > > eg take the avg scores of the top 1%, and then > take 70% of that to get the min pass score. ie if > the top 1% get 95%, the MPS will be 66%. > therefore its not always giong to be as high as a > 70% MPS > > happy to stand corrected on this though?

So should be aiming at min 168 right answers out of 240.