How did you break into HF?

I know that quite a number of people work in a HF. I was wondering how did you break in - was it after a 2 year investment banking stint, post-grad, or others? Any tips for a prospective HF analyst?

crowbar and flashlight.

billwest Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know that quite a number of people work in a HF. > I was wondering how did you break in - was it > after a 2 year investment banking stint, > post-grad, or others? Any tips for a prospective > HF analyst? you can always start your own fund and get investors into your hedge fund. works well given that the Madoff scandal broke off. Once you get enough money, you can be the CEO or an analyst at the firm, it’s your choice. Or be both at once.

Look elsewhere for now. A huge amount of funds have been shutting down. There are a lot of experienced people out of the job right now. BTW: The two year banking stint is more likely to lead to PE than HF. The skill set is not transferable. A better route would be trading or a quant background. SOme big funds are looking for finance or quant PhDs. That said, there doesn’'t seem to be a standardized career progession as there is in PE.

ConvertArb Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > crowbar and flashlight. C’mon, nitrous and a hammer… what is this, amateur hour?

brianr Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ConvertArb Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > crowbar and flashlight. > > C’mon, nitrous and a hammer… what is this, > amateur hour? C’mon, spyware and keyboard logger…get with the 21st century, pal.

joemontana Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Look elsewhere for now. A huge amount of funds > have been shutting down. There are a lot of > experienced people out of the job right now. > > BTW: The two year banking stint is more likely to > lead to PE than HF. The skill set is not > transferable. A better route would be trading or > a quant background. SOme big funds are looking > for finance or quant PhDs. That said, there > doesn’'t seem to be a standardized career > progession as there is in PE. It’s true that the progression to hedge funds may not be as standardized as the route to PE, but there are a LOT of hedge funds out there that hired investment banking analysts out of their programs. In fact, I had once thought that equity research would be a better feeder into the fundamental hedge funds, but from my experience with recruiting, that wasn’t always the case. A number of hedge funds respect the rigor of the banking analyst’s modeling and accounting skill set, so they were still pretty desirable. That being said, I’d say given the economy, it’s equally competitive to get a banking, HF or PE job, so if you can get into any of those fields, take whatever you can get. To get into a hedge fund (at least any that are still hiring), you want to hit up the headhunters as much as you can, and also go through personal networks. Seems obvious, but there’s really no other trick to it. Back when I was in equity research, I’d get calls from headhunters about once a week about various opportunities – and it probably helped that my name was on the cover of research reports – but even so, it took a lot of legwork on my own part to find the jobs that I wanted, simply because there wasn’t a structured recruiting program out of equity research as there was for investment banking.

thanks numi. I’ll begin hitting up some of the headhunters that I know this week. My friends in research tell me that they actually get asked by their bosses whether they want to stay after a 2/3 year stint. If not, their boss actually helps place them in a buyside shop since they’ll then become a client. Haven’t heard about similar things in the banking side.