How did you justify buying an iPad??

I’m looking into buying an iPad, because I’m tired of books taking up space all around my apartment. Bookcase is maxed out!! But, if I’m going to get an e-reader, might as well get a device that can define words I don’t know on the spot, and allow me to email interesting info right then and there. At least that’s what I’m telling myself…I’m seriously freaking out like a kid during x-mas eve about getting this new toy. However, is it really worth the $$$? How did you justify it the purchase?

In my opinion, it’s not worth the money. There’s some novelty to having a tablet, but it wears off quickly. If you really want an E-Reader, there are better alternatives for a cheaper price (better for E-Reading at least). I actually got an iPad for Christmas and went through this same thought exercise. My conclusion was that $500 to $800 probably has other better uses.

sjv1030 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > However, is it really worth the $$$? no > How did you justify it the purchase? my mom really wanted it

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > How did you justify it the purchase? > > my mom really wanted it If that statement doesn’t open the door to abuse on here, I don’t know what does.

yeah, her current technology setup is pretty bad so she uses it as both a laptop and e-reader. good thing the ipad2 is coming out soon to make it an even worse purchase.

iBought an iPad, and don’t think it was a waste. And money was tight. I rarely need to carry my laptop in my briefcase anymore, and my shoulders thank me every day. For reading and browsing while at your desk, it is great. There are plenty of times where staring at a fixed screen (desktop) of floppy screen (laptop) is just uncomfortable. I often have excel up on my screen, and I am reading some reference material on the iPad. Or I can check my personal email on my iPad instead of with my browser. It’s great for reading on the subway, though a bit hard to do if you are standing. Incidentally, I bought myself a Kindle about a year ago, and I also like it. For reading e-books and the subscription stuff it gets, I find the Kindle is better than the iPad, mostly because it is lighter in the hand and easier on the eyes in normal illumination and sunlight. However, the iPad does a lot of other things the Kindle doesn’t, and to me, that justifies the additional heft. Basically, any time you are looking at your iPhone or Blackberry and thinking, “this is great, but I just wish the screen was bigger,” that’s when you might want the iPad.

We just got one. I gotta say it is pretty cool. Personally I wouldn’t buy it cause I like to create things and the iPad isn’t really for creating. But the woman is crazy about it for books and netflix and email and music. She digs the screen size over her iphone. You also gotta remember AAPL stuff holds value well, I traded my old iPhone on ebay and got a new iPhone4 and actually made a few bucks.

I love my iPad, we sleep together, and I don’t need any justification

purealpha Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > We just got one. I gotta say it is pretty cool. > Personally I wouldn’t buy it cause I like to > create things and the iPad isn’t really for > creating. I actually have seen plenty of journalists at the conferences preferring iPads to laptops, they just get an outside keyboard. You can download Pages for docs, Keynote for presentations, Numbers for spreadsheets. They are manageable

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you really want an E-Reader, there are > better alternatives for a cheaper price (better > for E-Reading at least). > E-readers are just for fiction, as most of them are black and white. Not good for graphs, photos, etc. Besides it’s not easy to read an A4 PDF on it, as the screen is small and not so easily controllable. Economist is fab on iPad, colourful, with audio, all available offline, cheap. FT, WSJ, Reuters all have apps complete with videos, graphs, photos in colour. And all the entertainment stuff, project planning apps, education apps, etc. etc.

• Surfing the net on a 10" screen is much better than your tiny smart phone. - You can carry thousands books with you, read it on subway, bed, beaches,wherever you go. - Too many free and cool apps. - Laptops aren’t portable anymore, lightweight touch screen tablet is the future.

Having an iPad is cool and stuff, but I only had mine for three and a half days. I installed the scale application around noon on day three and it didn’t work at all - screen cracked almost instantly. Not good, Apple. Bad Apple.

I don’t have an iPad but I just bought one of the new macbook airs. I’ve been really impressed so far. It a few hundred more than an iPad but I think it’s worth it for the extra functionality.

The Economist on the iPad is probably the only reason you need to get yourself an iPad. it’s fantastic. I don’t even bother reading the print version anymore.

Mar350’s mom really wanted it…

…but it was worth the price!

Valores Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- also got mom this -> http://www.zagg.com/accessories/zaggmate.php?gclid=CIutld_qr6YCFZ065QodDFQCpw the keyboard makes the ipad a great laptop

newsuper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The Economist on the iPad is probably the only > reason you need to get yourself an iPad. it’s > fantastic. I don’t even bother reading the print > version anymore. Agreed. NYT, WSJ are also great.

Angry Birds

sjv1030 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > At least that’s what I’m telling myself…I’m > seriously freaking out like a kid during x-mas eve > about getting this new toy. are you 22?