How difficult is L2 compared to L1

mossy695 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Level 1 :: Level 2 > Fresh, warm spring morning :: First 15 minutes of > Saving Private Ryan HAHHA that’s hysterical

readytopass Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > you cant ask this question until after the scores > are out, then people can have perspective. > > “how hard is that test that you just studied your > ass off for and have no clue if i passed?” i > don’t know dude, wait a few months… +1, I think L2 wasn’t bad considering I put half the time I put into L1. I expected it be more difficult but it was more tricky instead. So I have not idea if I passed. With L1 I saw all of the tricks and knew I passed with very slight doubt. On L2 based on the amount questions I wasn’t sure about I think I passed, But I have no idea how many I might have not recognized the tricky part in. So we’ll see.

riyaz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > programmer Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > riyaz Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > “Because actual CFAs have told me” > > > > You would get at least one Ethics problem wrong > > here… > > programmer, are you trying to pick on me on this > board? its not helping anyone. > > In any case, I thank most here who made valuable > contribution and helped me guage to some level how > hard the L2 is. I knew its a tough level, but I > wanted to get a perspective from you guys, who > have made it through L1 and into L2. Hats off for > that! and good luck to all except to the following > candidates: > > programmer and CFADreams. dude… wtf did i do?? my point is a lot of people got 6/6 on ethics in the mock… more straightforward than the ethics on the real exam… I got 6/6 on a few derivatives item sets in practice too, and i am no derivatives king…6 questions aint a good sample… ethics i felt was slightly tougher on level 2 than 1… But now i am cursed because you didnt wish me luck… looks like you will have to deal with me on this board for a yr

I think this is the best post exam thread yet! Keep 'em coming! L1: Lunch with JDV L2: Summer Camp with Daj224

QuantJock_MBA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think this is the best post exam thread yet! > Keep 'em coming! > > L1: Lunch with JDV > L2: Summer Camp with Daj224 BUAAAAAA!!! ROTFL.

Clearly there was no maturity portion of the level 2 exam because almost everyone here would have failed it. I have the ingredients to pass Level 2, the evidence is right here. 1. Think very highly of yourself, on top of thinking you rule the internets. 2. Be unhelpful to others who were once in your position. I can pass too, if only I could come up with a clever metaphor for comparing level 1 to level 2…

ChicagoPMA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > TheAliMan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Level I = TI BA II Plus > > Level II = Forced to use the HP 12C with RPN > > (sorry to the old folks out there) > > > Don’t you dare hate on the HP 12C! There is a > learning curve, but its power is amazing. I hear you can go mountaineering with it because it’s indestructable - you know, just in case one feels like calculating bond payments while taking a break from using the ice axe.

TheAliMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ChicagoPMA Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > TheAliMan Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Level I = TI BA II Plus > > > Level II = Forced to use the HP 12C with RPN > > > (sorry to the old folks out there) > > > > > > Don’t you dare hate on the HP 12C! There is a > > learning curve, but its power is amazing. > > > I hear you can go mountaineering with it because > it’s indestructable - you know, just in case one > feels like calculating bond payments while taking > a break from using the ice axe. What do you mean “taking a break from using the ice axe?” You’ve got an HP 12C, why pack an extra ice axe?

On a realistic note. I think that level 2 was a large step up in difficulty level from level 1. I did not find anything in level 1 hard to wrap your head around. Level 2 had a few of those. But its more being organized and knowing what to expect from the test. Level 1 was more just spitting out information and making quick calculations. Level 2 calls for a much more in depth understanding of the material. As for studying. I studied a lot more for level 2. I also felt a lot better leaving the l2 exam than leaving the l1 exam. and I got above 70 on all except alt. I don’t agree with people that you need to wait for your mark to determine the difficulty of the test… Its not like they hand us an answer key. The main thing about this level 2 test at least is that its very tricky, lots of little traps i guess you could say. So a good understanding is needed as to not pick the distractor answer. Good luck

Haha, nice. There was a guy with an HP 12C sitting to my left during the exam. I felt intimidated. I might just get one to pretend that I am a big deal (but have a TI BA in my back pocket to save me because two-two-plus still doesn’t make sense to me).

what is the most amount of calculators you saw to one person. I counted 3 ALL TI ba2 plus

CFAdreams Wrote: > But now i am cursed because you didnt wish me > luck… looks like you will have to deal with me on > this board for a yr Dude, you don’t need my blessings or wishes to pass. Even if you are here for another year, I may not necessarily join you if I actually fail myself too. -:slight_smile: In any case most people here are behaving in a civil fashion. And I can reject the null hypothesis that someone is not going to act civil with 95% degree of confidence. I don’t have the Power of the Test handy. Sorry!

Friends, After reading all posts and insults on this board, I decided to review the whole mock exam for L2 provided by CFA institute. While any comparison with 65 year old aunt or hurricane level 5 is obviously inappropriate, I think the best way to describe Level 2 is exactly that. CFA Institute has aptly named the Level 2 as Level 2. If Level 1 is Level 1, Level 2 is Level 2. They take everything truly to the next level. If I pass L1, I will have an unpleasant year of lot of studying ahead of me. Assuming I pass L1 and give L2 next year, one thing I am sure of. Whether I pass or fail L2, the year of studying I will have ahead of me for L2 is going to add whole lot of truly valuable knowledge in my brain. That in itself makes it worth it. If I fail L1, then I am not very inclined to reappear for it in Dec, cause I don’t want to waste my time reading the same material again. If any potential L2 candidate is reading this, I hope it gives an idea of what lies ahead. My favorite topics are: FSA and Derivatives. I also am very much interested in Equity and FI valuations. If you do not like these topics and are still going to try L2, then you better be either a) Genius or b) Very hard working Although genius is 1% inspiration(intelligence?) and 99% perspiration(hard work?), so that makes everyone potentially a genius (as long as you are willing to do the hard work)

legacy01 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Clearly there was no maturity portion of the level > 2 exam because almost everyone here would have > failed it. > > I have the ingredients to pass Level 2, the > evidence is right here. > > 1. Think very highly of yourself, on top of > thinking you rule the internets. > 2. Be unhelpful to others who were once in your > position. > > I can pass too, if only I could come up with a > clever metaphor for comparing level 1 to level > 2… It must suck to have zero sense of humor.

riya, We became a tight group going through this. All the aforementioned comments, funny or not, are the opinions we have. There is not much comparison to L2 from L1. It is extremely hard to be fluent in all topic areas. In the event the CFAI gives a vignette on an area you did not prepare for well, then you just scored 0/6. That hurts. On level 1 there are plenty of areas where one can game the exam. On Level 2 that is just not possible.

Level 1 is lethal injection. Level 2 is being burnt at the stake while drowned by a fishbowl full of Iheartmath’s diarrhea on top of your head.

Spoken like a true failure F&^C face

No Doubt Level II is vast material with more specifics in it than Level I. but it all comes to the point and on that day only 1st sat of June… if you cross the Omaha beach it does not mean you are OK, if you can save private Ryan and come back to base only than you re gonna be fine

Well I wouldn’t say that L2 is so much harder than level 1 You already know a nice piece of ethics thanks to level 1 You already know how the knowledge is tested, and how nicely you have to master the curriculum. So you have good tools in your hand to prepare correctly and avoid newbies mistakes. But if level 1 may allow finance analysts or business school students to just level up their knowledge for the exam, Level 2 definitely ask you to get comfortable with tools you would have never thought you would learn before. I personally just work as intensively both (3 complete views of the CFAI books, : 1 reading of all the books in depth to see in detail what is asked+ 1 review in detail during 2 months redoing all the exercises and focusing on the hard stuff of every chapter+final revision and mock exams during the final 4 weeks) Doing that both times, I actually felt more confident for level 2. Well ok basically, what I am saying is that if you don’t believe in shortcuts and if you just try to deal with the curriculum, you may end in better shape for level 2 compare to level 1. Disclaimer : I should probably wait I see my results at level 2 before talking ^^

I got >70% on all Level 1 sections - I found Level 2 very hard and much harder than Level 1. I can’t imagine squeaking by the Level 1 MPS and not dying on Level 2.