How do I do it?

I have recently landed up with my dream job and a good pay, so I will be booting my current employer. I have a question, how do i start the conversation before telling my boss about my intentions to leave the place? for guys who have done it before, how did you start and did the conversation ended in a bad note?

So the *CFA charter magic* is already working for you… hehe! Anyways, CONGRATS! :slight_smile:

anupamjain008 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So the *CFA charter magic* is already working for > you… hehe! > > Anyways, CONGRATS! :slight_smile: ======================================== by any chance you based in India?

Yeps… guess my username gave you the idea. Based in Goa.

CFA_IND You have landed a good job, and desire to leave. So just say so. Even if there is some bad blood between you, there is no need to rake that up now. From my personal experience, better opportunities present themselves, and at that time, it does not make sense to “burn” your bridges especially when exiting the firm. You never know, either personally or professionally you may encounter folks in your present job in the future. You are completely in control of the conversation with your current employer, so you can make sure that there is no bad “ending”. This is my personal thought here.

When I left my last firm, I wrote the letter, and included in it my last day of work. I gave 3 weeks notice. Then I just asked my boss for a meeting, and told her “I’ve decided to accept a position at another company.” I handed her the letter. She asked a couple questions, like “What made you start looking?” but it was pretty smooth for me.

Congratulations CFA_IND…Great to hear that… All the best for the new job…however, I am not qualified enough to answer the question as I am stuck with my first job but am looking for opportunities…

anupamjain008 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yeps… guess my username gave you the idea. Based > in Goa. ========================================= what is the job market scene out there?

CFA_IND Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > anupamjain008 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Yeps… guess my username gave you the idea. > Based > > in Goa. > > > ========================================= > > what is the job market scene out there? Its great, you can sell weed to smelly tourists!

Hi CFA_IND, I am also currently based in India. The job market for financial services in not very good here, however, the outsourcing firms are hiring (at a slower pace though)and as you might be aware of that India is one of the best outsourcing destinations. Though some of the institutions (which were only performing outsourced work for financial services companies or captives of various banks (Lehman, citi, MER, MS etc.)) have been hit, the bigger companies which have clients from across the globe and in all industries are risilient. Sensex is anyways down to around mid 1300. On the economy front, the inflation rate is also all time high at above 12%. The GDP growth rate is also less than predicted at 7.5-8%. In order to abate inflation RBI has already raised its interest rates to around 8% and the cash reserve ratio for banks (the cash banks have to keep with RBI). So, basically, India is also facing the same problems of high inflation and lower growth. Apart from this, there are a number of other political moves hindering the industrial activity in the country (TATA was forced to move its plant (which was going to manufacture Nano) out of West Bangal, the Ambani brothers (Relaince) are busy suing each other.

If the current employer can’t offer you what the people offering you a role can then just explain that you’ve enjoyed your time in your current role and the experience you’ve had there, but for the outstanding opportunity that has come up that for the sake of your career opportunities you are moving to a new employer. As long as you make it seem that you are grateful to your current employer and that you aren’t leaving for bad reasons but for good ones then you shouldn’t have a problem I would imagine. Very few people stay in the same place for a very long time anymore anyway so it’s par for the course and may not be a total surprise to them anyway. I find the only way in which bad blood may be created would be if you weren’t that commited to the job in the first place, and left because you hated either the job/people/company. Congratulations to you anyway on the new opportunity.

CFA_IND Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ========================================= > > what is the job market scene out there? You think there is a market for Fin jobs in Goa?? I am pursuing my MBA here and sorry to tell you but noone in my senior batch got placed here locally. Thankfully the placements is not a problem and companies come to recruit in our campus from across the country but that said, Goa is NOT the place to look for a job (for Charterholders). Lets take this off the forums. Get back to me on anupamjain008@gmail.com and we can discuss further.

The last time I had that conversation it went like: I have had a great time here and have learned a lot. I feel that there is so much more that I could learn to become a better professional. I think I need to broaden my horizon. I have to take a huge risk and leave this firm knowing full well that it could backfire. I hope that some day we can resume the good work we are doing.

I get most of the memos when people / leave resign as I work with management in a side role. Most are pretty to the point and positive. A few are neutral and I haven’t seen too many negative ones. I would just put a positive touch to whatever memos / convos you have before you leave, give people your new contact info, and leave on a good note.

Keep it niceand professional. Do not gripe about anything. Be grateful. Be accommodative. Do everything you can to shake hands nicely out the door.

Don’t send out this letter; everyone knows you didn’t write it. Dear All , As many of you probably know, today is my last day. But before I leave, I wanted to take this opportunity to let you know what a great and distinct pleasure it has been to type ‘Today is my last day.’ For nearly as long as I’ve worked here, I’ve hoped that I might one day leave this company. And now that this dream has become a reality, please know that I could not have reached this goal without your unending lack of support. Words cannot express my gratitude for the words of gratitude you did not express. I would especially like to thank all of my managers: in an age where miscommunication is all too common, you consistently impressed and inspired me with the sheer magnitude of your misinformation. It takes a strong man to admit his mistake - it takes a stronger man to attribute his mistake to me. Over the past four years, you have taught me more than I could ever ask for and, in most cases, ever did ask for. I have been fortunate enough to work with some absolutely interchangeable supervisors on a wide variety of seemingly identical projects - an invaluable lesson in overcoming daily tedium in overcoming daily tedium in overcoming daily tedium. Your demands were high and your patience short, but I take great solace knowing that my work was, as stated on my annual review, ‘mostly satisfactory.’ That is the type of praise that sends a woman home happy after even a 10 hour day, smiling her way through half a bottle of mostly satisfactory scotch. And to most of my peers: even though we barely acknowledged each other within these office walls, I hope that in the future, should we pass on the street, you will regard me the same way as I regard you: sans eye contact. So, in parting, if I could pass on any word of advice to the individual who will soon be filling my position, it would be to cherish this experience like a sponge and soak it up like a good woman, because a job opportunity like this comes along only once in a lifetime.