How do you consolidate knowledge?

I am done reading through the CFA material once and running the 2nd round. This round I am making notes in word and it slows me down a hell lot. I have Vital Source from where I can copy/paste text, for L1 I had to type it all. I use snippy.exe to grab a piece of screen for formulas and past it in word as image. How do you folks manage knowledge consolidation?

I am using MS onenote to make my formulae sheet and take important notes. I also use an iphone app to make my own flash cards for review.

I am lowtech person and I use pencil to do shit load of questions on paper

jimmykaw Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am using MS onenote to make my formulae sheet > and take important notes. I also use an iphone app > to make my own flash cards for review. What’s the app? What is it called?

janardhanc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am done reading through the CFA material once > and running the 2nd round. This round I am making > notes in word and it slows me down a hell lot. I > have Vital Source from where I can copy/paste > text, for L1 I had to type it all. I use > snippy.exe to grab a piece of screen for formulas > and past it in word as image. > > How do you folks manage knowledge consolidation? You should probably see my notes to know how much it slows me :slight_smile: and I TYPE i don’t copy paste … Sample of the notes: https://fileshare.aus.edu/pnp24hrs/files/nNROcRsBc/R25.pdf Its taking so much time now but I hope that it will return in a good benefit when the review time comes (if it ever does) Omar

I use Schweser… it’s very condensed and has enough room to practice all the problems in the books (as long as you can write small) I’m just hilighting important sections… and sections that I feel as though I need to focus on… this might not be helpful for most people, I’ve just never been the kind of person to take notes at all… i just read the material like a novel…and plan to focus entirely on EOC questions from Schweser and CFAI during April/May

Omar Adnan Wrote: > > Sample of the notes: > https://fileshare.aus.edu/pnp24hrs/files/nNROcRsBc > /R25.pdf > Omar Omar, these are well done but this is nuts. professional student?

Lloyd Christmas Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Omar Adnan Wrote: > > > > > > Sample of the notes: > > > https://fileshare.aus.edu/pnp24hrs/files/nNROcRsBc > > > /R25.pdf > > > Omar > > > Omar, these are well done but this is nuts. > professional student? more of GPA 4.0 student :slight_smile: I know it is nuts, but I’m not doing this for cfa level 2 only … I’m starting my post-graduate studies in September and my MSc in finance is highly related to CFA material … Those notes would definitely be worth it when I’m doing the program I have posted my entire level 1 set of notes - I will hopefully do the same for level 2 but once I’m done with preparing them - gonna take a long time :slight_smile:

Part of the issue is the copying/pasting. Personally, most of my value that I get from note taking is writing it down in my own words. It forces you to think deeper and the knowledge gets more ingrained, IMO.

Omar, fantastic notes. Would love to get a copy, if you want to share. When did you start your study?

ftwcfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Omar, fantastic notes. Would love to get a copy, > if you want to share. When did you start your > study? I would share the entire set when I’m done preparing and finalizing the final versions of those notes … I started studying in Feb but haven’t done much in it … my real hardcore studying was at the beginning of this month … I’m expecting to finish the material in the first week of May, hopefully :slight_smile:

I think taking notes is such a waste of time, busy work. Just read and do EOCs and sample and mock exams, over and over.

Puca Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think taking notes is such a waste of time, busy > work. Just read and do EOCs and sample and mock > exams, over and over. I always believed that in every issue there are different schools of thoughts :slight_smile:

I prefer to do notes by pencil. While I write by hand smth I can think of what I wright and look at the topic from different point of view. It as also better from the conception of different tactics of learning - learn by memorizing while reading or by using mechanical memory. I do not expect that I will remember extra information by copy-paste, IMHO And by the way I fond it is grate way to learn material by making tables from the row text in the book. For example it is much easer to memorize leasing issue by preparing a table in which to show how it reflect every part of financial statements of lessee and lessor. Plus I always highlight the textbook, make my own comments do calculations and etc.

Omar, Those are the nicest notes I’ve ever seen…you should sell them. I would defintely pay for them. That said, I would love a copy if you are sharing them.

Iginla2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jimmykaw Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I am using MS onenote to make my formulae sheet > > and take important notes. I also use an iphone > app > > to make my own flash cards for review. > > > What’s the app? What is it called? ‘Study Flash’. App is free but if you pay 99c, you get to email the cards as text. Its easy that way to edit on your computer. Not very flashy, but works just fine.

Omar Adnan I know what u mean by MSc Finance. Go for it buddy, it is worth it. I was planning last year but it is ridiculously overpriced in US (though I already work in finance).

Qcubed: I would think about going into this business in the future hopefully when I’m done with the program :slight_smile: Cfalevel 2011: Yes it is worth it indeed - I’m doing it in UK (overpriced as well) but I’m getting a scholarship for it

jimmykaw Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Iginla2010 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > jimmykaw Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > I am using MS onenote to make my formulae > sheet > > > and take important notes. I also use an > iphone > > app > > > to make my own flash cards for review. > > > > > > What’s the app? What is it called? > > > ‘Study Flash’. App is free but if you pay 99c, you > get to email the cards as text. Its easy that way > to edit on your computer. Not very flashy, but > works just fine. Thanks, I’ll check it out.

Good work Omar…all those who said that note taking is a time waste, pls delete Omar’s notes…Though you would have saved them.