How do you (physically) study?

areyouserious Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I study for an hour and an half…I check hot > girls on the internet. Friends of friends on > facebook maybe…Then I say to myself “if i want > these girls, I must achieve something first”". > I feel motivated to study again. So you want gold diggers?

silent, isolated, focused study, for 45 minutes or so. grab some water in between then get back to study.

Weekdays: At 4:30-ish I go to the conference room and study w/ a Diet Coke. Normally go for 2 hours Weekends: Wake up, crush a blue monster, and zone into the books as long as the monster holds my attention span. Never do music, once I fire-up Black Ops the rest of the study day is essentially gone (hence why I lock myself in the conf room after work)

Roflnadal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Do you guys listen to music while studying? I feel > like it probably decreases the ability to retain > everything you read, but it keeps me studying for > longer. > > I’m a little disappointed we haven’t had any crazy > study stories yet. Sometimes I wonder if it’s at > any extent possible to study while sleeping, like > in a lucid dream… Inception style. You’d get an > extra 6 hours of studying a day! to an extent, ur brain does some memory retention work for you, moving stuff from short term mem to long term.

i plug a wire into the back on my brain and just upload that shiznit like NEO in the matrix. There is no spoon…

Work at a University…the library provids too much of a…“view”. Study at home, listen to sat radio low in the background, and hook myself up to an IV of coffee. I also leave th TV on in the background with no sound…don’t know why it helps, but I don’t question a good thing. Every hour, I get up and do a circut of exerciss which takes a few minutes. Study for another hour, change my IV bag. Repeat.

I can’t study in public places. Girls keep giving me their phone numbers, and then they run away giggling. It’s very distracting.

Roflnadal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Do you guys listen to music while studying? I feel > like it probably decreases the ability to retain > everything you read, but it keeps me studying for > longer. > > I’m a little disappointed we haven’t had any crazy > study stories yet. Sometimes I wonder if it’s at > any extent possible to study while sleeping, like > in a lucid dream… Inception style. You’d get an > extra 6 hours of studying a day! ^Dude, I thought the same thing when I saw Inception, how awesome would that be! Study without having to sacrifice real time here on Earth. I prefer an area with a little background noise but nothing major, sometimes I come back to my office. I can’t get anything done at home, too many alternatives.

I would have a dream inside the dream and then study there cuz then time would slow down.

I’m finding it a lot easier to put the hours in now that ebooks are available. I was cynical about them at first but I’m finding I’m progressing through the material a lot more efficiently than before. I find if I’m reading a physical book I end up staring at the page for a long time without progressing and that’s just a waste.

I tried studying at a nearby uni library once. Won’t try that again. Way too many 18 yr old PYTs running around damn near half naked. As a 40yr old male I felt mildly lecherous. Won’t go back there again. (until after I’m done studying)

EoghanLyons Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m finding it a lot easier to put the hours in > now that ebooks are available. I was cynical about > them at first but I’m finding I’m progressing > through the material a lot more efficiently than > before. > > I find if I’m reading a physical book I end up > staring at the page for a long time without > progressing and that’s just a waste. When I ordered my CFA books I opted out of the ebooks. Do you know if there’s a way to buy them on their own? Also, do you know if you can put them on a Kindle?

This is how I study. I have a 7 months old little girl and no support from family or whatever. When I am done with the laundry, feeding of baby, cleaning the house, etc. etc… I sit down, open my books. Within an half hour baby starts crying. I have to comfort and cuddle her or feed her. So I try to study with her on my lap. She starts grabbing at the book tear the pages out. Meanwhile it’s time to cook dinner. After dinner and everything done. I am too exhausted so I sit down to watch some tv feed baby and to bed. Basically I study while playing with baby. Multitasking or not?

Weekday, usually living room when nobody is around and quiet, can go on for 3-4 hours when the mood is right. Weekend, going nomadic and find any places thats quiet, usually less hours than weekday on a per day basis.

I tried study in a quiet environment but ended up daydreaming too often. Now I listen to loud heavy metal music with a headphone while I study to help me focus. Work pretty well for me so far.

Roflnadal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > EoghanLyons Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I’m finding it a lot easier to put the hours in > > now that ebooks are available. I was cynical > about > > them at first but I’m finding I’m progressing > > through the material a lot more efficiently > than > > before. > > > > I find if I’m reading a physical book I end up > > staring at the page for a long time without > > progressing and that’s just a waste. > > > When I ordered my CFA books I opted out of the > ebooks. Do you know if there’s a way to buy them > on their own? Also, do you know if you can put > them on a Kindle? To be honest I’m not sure if you can buy them after you’ve already decided not to get them when originally registering. I’d say it’s quite possible, maybe send the institute an e-mail query. When I registered for it they just sent me the links to download them and it was a reasonably fast process all in all. You have to use Vitalsource Bookshelf to read them, you can register 3 separate machines to use them on. I don’t know anything about Kindle, but you do have to use Vitalsource to read the ebooks, so that may be a problem.

Back to the actual topic and study methods: I passed Level One a loooong time ago, going primarily on reading + taking notes and doing lots of practice problems. That is my current primary form of study: I open up one of my study sources on my iPad (VitalSource or other, etc), and take notes while I read. I try to focus on re-writing what seems to be the key concepts in a way that makes sense to me. I try to do a bit of color-coding, and it makes my reviews of earlier material a bit quicker (for example: red for definitions, blue for key concept checkers, purple for questions or items I was unclear about, etc Whenever I study I keep a BAII Plus and a sheet of scratch paper handy, and work out all the practice problems etc, both in the text and at the end of each reading. I personally would get in the habit of doing -everything- with your BAII Plus, even simple calculations. You want it to be like an extension of your hand, and it helps you get used to doing long, intricate calculations with lots of operators and stuff in brackets, on the fly. I listen to some audio/video study materials as well (mostly while walking the dog), but it’s not quite as time-effective (since I can read a heck of a lot faster than I can listen to someone speak). But it is a good method if you retain better by listening vs reading. My main study times are: Approx. 30 minutes in the morning before work while walking the dog (tough to count this as ‘studying’, but it is spent listening to some audio/video material). 45mn on the train in the morning (I always get a seat, so it’s 45mn of uninterrupted study time five days a week, guaranteed). Approx. 30mn on the train back home (usually don’t get a seat until partway back home). This is also uninterrupted, but I don’t concentrate quite as well). Approx. one hour at night before bed. I set up a table with books and a small lamp in our bedroom. I get a nice cup of tea or coffee and the headphones, and study until I suspect the retention rate is slipping. So about 2 hours a day; probably about 10-12 hours of quality time a week on average. I’ll have studying for about 32 weeks by the time the test rolls around so that’s right around the 300 hour mark. Hopefully it won’t be another 10 years before I sign up for Level Three…

Back when I was studying for this, I threw a small desk in a somewhat large coat closet and converted it in to an “office”. I had to isolate myself at times so that I wasn’t distracted by things like TV, internet, AF, family, etc. At times when I needed to get out of the house, I went to the old business school and locked myself in the same study room that I used in undergrad and grad school and sat there for like 8 hours with no possible distractions (the place empty in late May and on most weekends).