How does a CFA play into MBA applications

I was wondering how much passing all 3 levels of the CFA would help me with MBA applications. My goal is a top tier MBA prog like NYU, Columbia, USC, UCLA

i have heard not much at all.

Probably helps a bit, particularly if you are already in finance. MBA programs basically want to see that you will be successful after graduating. If this helps create this picture, then sure. However, grades, GMAT and which college you went to are almost definitely much more important.

I dont even bother doing MBA. I am taking CFA to together with Master of Finance(Queens Business School Canada). CFA+Mfin=Business Success

CFA is viewed on the same level as an MBA by most in the investment community. Even more so by some because of its difficult pass rate and standardization…not just signing a check and showing up to class. Shows you actually know the stuff

I have heard that it helps in as much that it indicates an increased likelihood of success in a less structured environment. The ability the buckle down and commit to self study, and also see something through should help in bolstering your case as a worthy candidate.

it helps significantly b/c it shows aptitude, dedication, and strong interest in the industry. MBA programs just want to hire people that are going to become wildly successful and filthy rich, thereby improving the school’s brand and endowment size. passing all 3 exams/having the charter is a characteristic that makes you a lot more likely to do those things, and therefore makes you more attractive to the b-school’s ad com.

You should also realize that the CFA is only going to help if it fits with your work experience. If you’re an IT person applying to business school, taking CFA exams might indicate that you’re trying to break into finance but have so far failed.

Does anyone who says that CFA will help tremendously to gain acceptance in a top 10 MBA program ever apply to a business school? The short answer is: they probably don’t even know what a CFA is. Unfortunately it is lumped together with the likes of CPA so in all likelihood the weight the admission director put on CFA will make you cry. - taken from someone who got waitlisted in 3 top 10 MBA program that put CFA as one of the main theme in the admission essay. PS: I got this scale that was taken from another-forum-that-focused-on-GMAT-and-MBA-prep: CFA L1

Oh, it’s like to put preparation to GMAT as the main theme, no good

Dobenya Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I dont even bother doing MBA. I am taking CFA to > together with Master of Finance(Queens Business > School Canada). CFA+Mfin=Business Success I am looking to move to Canda for MBA/MS Finance. Could you provide your email ID or drop a mail at abhitechie@gmail.com.

What about using it to help out a less than stellar Undergrad GPA?

Re: How does a CFA play into MBA applications new Posted by: Dobenya (IP Logged) [hide posts from this user] Date: August 20, 2010 01:56PM I dont even bother doing MBA. I am taking CFA to together with Master of Finance(Queens Business School Canada). CFA+Mfin=Business Success ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Why are you doing an MFIN when Queen’s School of Business has an MBA program which includes prep for the CFA exams? What are you hoping to get out of the QSB’s MFin which you can’t get out of their top tier MBA program?

Top schools know about the CFA Program very well. It’s up to you to leverage the CFA Program highly in your application. Mainly how it fits with your story (not just a standalone ‘degree’). Nevertheless, it’s no magic ticket.

ohai is pretty much spot on. It will help a little if you tie it into your work experience (your work achievements and how the CFA program complemented and supported your work). Avoid putting too much emphasis on the CFA when you’re writing essay because admission people simply don’t know much about it nor put much weight on certificates. They care about (and rightly so) how you added quantifiable value to a company - whether you automated a costly process or opened up a restaurant. CFA is for personal development and can help you do your work better, but there’re many other factors that drive success on the job. Basically, I would not use more than 1 to 2 sentences about the CFA in essays.

ChickenTikka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What about using it to help out a less than > stellar Undergrad GPA? @ChickenTikka The only way to offset low undergrad GPA is a high GMAT; and maybe combined with a couple of “As” in quantitative-oriented courses (if you lack strong quant scores on your transcript). CFA alone does not help offset low undergrad GPA.

Hi Dobenya, I am really interested in applying for the queens master in financial management program. I have a couple of questions for you. how many years of exp do u have, and how do you find going to class while working full-time.

Dobenya Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I dont even bother doing MBA. I am taking CFA to > together with Master of Finance(Queens Business > School Canada). CFA+Mfin=Business Success Is that the new Mfin that Queens offers? Your the guinea pig year! Queens is a good business school but I would always be very hesitant to do a program that has not established itself.