How does one break into an entry level modeling job?

What would you guys recommend that I do to get an entry level job in modeling (without experience), besides getting an MFE? Should I read some modeling books and learn excel vba and then submit my models to an employer or head hunter? Would that show them that I know my stuff?

Take notes on zoolander

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Take notes on zoolander tend to agree here i would advise you to do 20-30minutes of morning jaw exercises - kind of like those gurner people. once you have the ripped jaw - it’s game over on the business front

make sure u dont hAve wobbly ankles

Nike Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What would you guys recommend that I do to get an > entry level job in modeling (without experience), > besides getting an MFE? Should I read some > modeling books and learn excel vba and then submit > my models to an employer or head hunter? Would > that show them that I know my stuff? Excel 2007 power programming with VBA

C’mon… No employer is ever going to look at any models you send them. Who has time to do that? (Nobody you would want to work for). When you do a job search, in addition to your regular responsibilities, you need to sort through gajillions of resumes, deal with obnoxious head-hunters, conduct interviews, and deal with your own bosses about it. Opening up someone else’s Excel spreadsheet (there’s a security issue in this too) just isn’t part of the program. Then there’s the IP thing. Someone else is giving you there IP so they can get a job… Hmmm… Where did this IP come from? I would personally throw the resume in the shredder and hand the disk to the secretary to send back with a note that said “No Thanks and do not send any more IP to me or anyone at my company or anyone I have ever met”. This person has a serious lack of judgment. You get a modelling job by having a superior resume. If that takes an MFE, then it takes an MFE. Sometimes, I have had to interview people without credential who claim to be self-taught. “Oh so I see here that you claim that you know stochastic calculus? So how would you use stochastic calculus to price an option assuming stochastic volatility of the underlier?” [always stammer as response] After that happens to you a few times, what weight do you think you give anything on a resume that says “self-taught”?

I just now Googled the search phrase Joey mentioned (“mfe stochastic” and “stochastic calculus option underlyer”) and it led up to a pretty interesting site where you might find more useful information: http://www.quantnet.org/

LOL… that site belongs to Baruch’s MFE program… talk of vicious circle. :)) Yeah Quantnet is a pretty good website if you are considering MFE programs and related info.

You’ve got to be really, really, ridiculously good looking, and cary a tiny cell phone.

You’ve got to be really, really, ridiculously good looking, and cary a tiny cell phone.

What is IP?

Nike Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What is IP? IP IP is an abbreviation for Information Provider IP is an abbreviation for Intermediate Point IP is an abbreviation for Internet Protocol IP is an abbreviation for … bla bla

IP = Intellectual Property

IP=Information Plagiarised

I think you need to apply for an entry level position where it is not expected that you already have the skills. The reading / practising you have done will then differentiate you from other candidates and make you look super keen. As part of the recruitment process you may be asked to build a model, but this will be to answer questions posed by the employer and will be compared to other similar models by other candidates. If you send a model that answers a question that was never asked how can you expect to impress?

dinesh.sundrani Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > IP = Intellectual Property right.

So everyone dealing with modeling should be a stochastic calculus expert ? Don’t agree with that.

Now did anyone say that? That was simply an example but one I see all the time.