How does one usually get into a trading job?

I mean the CFA exam usually doesn’t help people get into trading jobs. Graduate from a good school, with good grades or you know someone? Maybe get a Masters in Financial Engineering degree?

MBA in finance and networking…

MFE is brutal. you’ll probably end up in Risk Man.

Why MFE is brutal? What is so bad about Risk Management?

Risk Management can be interesting, I think. The main drawback is that if you want to manage portfolios and make investment decisions, it can be frustrating to watch other people do it when your job is basically to monitor them and make sure they don’t eat up more than their share of risk (or act too timidly).

I would think that the math is brutal :)?

I would think risk management is a good startding point. If you are interested in trading or portfolio management, it is good you know how to take risk position first.

This subject has good coverage on this forum over the past year+. Use “search”. E.g. http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?1,591182,page=1 Report back what you learned.

is compliance experience within a risk management department a good stepping stone for trading? i’m talking about looking at how various depts process their activities, like how credit establishes limits, how treasury acct settles trades, etc etc…

jaz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > is compliance experience within a risk management > department a good stepping stone for trading? i’m > talking about looking at how various depts process > their activities, like how credit establishes > limits, how treasury acct settles trades, etc > etc… Not really. risk mgmt however provides you with a better stepping stone b/c to be good at your job, you need to (at the very least) understand trader’s trading strategy, the product, and of course undestand risk associated to p&l positions. my 3c.