how has CFA prep affected your personal lives.

shuaps Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It has only made me better at multi tasking, a > skill i knew nothing about before i started CFA > studies… i think i havnt lost any thing > because of my CFA studies, my friends respect me > more for my discipline and for excersing self > control during my prep days…and then we party > hard after exams…and i keep calling them when > i am taking a mid break in my prep days( no one > can study 24 hours a day) …in fact i am much > more regular at gym during last 2 months before > exams than the rest of the year…so > i think i havnt lost anyhting on personal level Yeah, good point - despite having lost my wife, most of my friends, my house and my car and becoming addicted to crack cocaine, I am a little better at multitasking.

maratikus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mook Wrote: > > Isn’t 70% of AF still in the “don’t start > studying > > yet” mood right now? > > I don’t feel like I’m studying. I’m enjoying > reading about behavior finance. Agreed. I’m reading c10 pages of SS3 a day and its actually enjoyable (very unlike the usual CFAI textbook MO).

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t know, things are back to fine for me now. > Yeah, there was a really really hard time over the > past year for Dec. LI and June LII, but that’s > done now, and I’m back in the good times. If > anything, I appreciate it all just that much more. > I love the time with my friends, yeah, I’m surely > carrying reminiscent callouses as a result of the > stress, but the ability of people to recover from > hardship is astounding and to be honest, I don’t > understand how you people are still moping around > posting this crap right now. If you lack a social > life at this point in the year, you cannot > scapegoat it on CFA, go out and live your life > man. I agree with this completely. Having spent so much time locked in the library in the spring, I really appreciated the value of free time more than ever before and really made sure I took advantage of it. I ended up doing a ton of traveling, got in really good shape, visited a bunch of friends/family and had an overall great summer. I plan on staying active and taking advantage of free time as much as possible before I start the hardcore studying again in 09.

What’s this thing called ‘life’ you all talk about? Is it for sale? Where? Sounds quite good.

Who cares about friends now, get your charter first and get rich. Friends will be buzzing all around you then…yeah I heard all crap that money does not buys friendship, it does buy poeple’s time and respect… THE GREATEST FRIEND YOU CAN FIND IS YOUR CFA STUDY NOTES WHILE YOU ARE POOR… “GET RICH OR DIE TRYING” PLAYER!

engineer2finance Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It’s been almost three weeks now since Mark took > the CFA exam, with three, perfectly actionable > weekends in between. Most other guys partied their > faces off after the exams, but for some reason, > Mark still hasn’t really gone out. He just sits on > the sofa in those unwashed mesh shorts, staring > off into space. He’s a shell, a shadow of who he > once was. It’s as if something inside of him has > died. > > “What the f***, man?” I’ll ask with a practiced, > artificial tone I like to call “emotion.” > > Mark takes a moment to respond, but finally lets > out: “It’s gone…” > > After I ask what he means, he beats his fist > against his chest and explains what has escaped > him: “The fire.” Brilliant man! you should have majored in arts… I could imagine myself if did not pass.

well for me clearing all three levels of CFA meant losing a 3 year relationship, I have developed an phobia of having a crowd around me, I am soo used to studying all alone in the library. I hardly have any friends left now, now the only thing good is my job which pays me well and lots of free time in which I just hang out on AF board. Seriously considering either an FRM ( had bought the notes to read, but ended up deferring it to the next year) or CAIA next march ,I have doubts that pursuing these courses are not a solution to my problem, I just do not know what do to , its like i have forgotten how to socialize. Well I guess getting through the CFA program for an average person like me has some serious repercussions

Dude that’s sad. If I’d have to give anything like that up I’d say f*ck CFA I’m going to screw my chick. Does this thing really cost you all so much? I find it quite possible to study a few hours a week for a month or four and take two weeks off before the exam to put it all together. Most of my friends don’t even know CFA can be time consuming, in fact they don’t even know exactly what the program is for.

lostafew"friends" but gained nw ones during the process, had to let go of my long distance running passion for the time of the exam preparation and was known for constantly bad humour this being said I still managed to meet Mr Right between L1&2 and we got married six weeks after L2, he was very supportive but incredible impatient in the end

Less sex and not as delicious food. But with sacrifice comes reward. I expect the sex and deliciousness meters to drop drastically starting March 2009 but double after passing L3 in June. That is my investment thesis – any takers?

MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Less sex and not as delicious food. > But with sacrifice comes reward. > I expect the sex and deliciousness meters to drop > drastically starting March 2009 but double after > passing L3 in June. That is my investment thesis > – any takers? Ditto Sex < CFA study Fun < CFA study Social life < CFA study Beer consumption < CFA study Happiness < CFA study

MattLikesAnalysis is spot on. Although it’d be perfect to have steady sex throughout the studying process.