how has CFA prep affected your personal lives.

Am taking level 3 in june 2009. I gained 10 kilos during the course of my CFA prep. Was very difficult to manage, work, gym, CFA prep and my girl friend. had to quit the gym in march. My girl friend though was very supportive :slight_smile:

I lost 5 kilos. Met some new friends from the prep courses. Still kept up my hobbies.

I haven’t gained any weight, but I also haven’t gained many friends over the past couple years. Really only have had time to occasionally hang out with best friends and immediate family.

It’s been almost three weeks now since Mark took the CFA exam, with three, perfectly actionable weekends in between. Most other guys partied their faces off after the exams, but for some reason, Mark still hasn’t really gone out. He just sits on the sofa in those unwashed mesh shorts, staring off into space. He’s a shell, a shadow of who he once was. It’s as if something inside of him has died. “What the f***, man?” I’ll ask with a practiced, artificial tone I like to call “emotion.” Mark takes a moment to respond, but finally lets out: “It’s gone…” After I ask what he means, he beats his fist against his chest and explains what has escaped him: “The fire.”

Huh???

engineer2finance Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It’s been almost three weeks now since Mark took > the CFA exam, with three, perfectly actionable > weekends in between. Most other guys partied their > faces off after the exams, but for some reason, > Mark still hasn’t really gone out. He just sits on > the sofa in those unwashed mesh shorts, staring > off into space. He’s a shell, a shadow of who he > once was. It’s as if something inside of him has > died. > > “What the f***, man?” I’ll ask with a practiced, > artificial tone I like to call “emotion.” > > Mark takes a moment to respond, but finally lets > out: “It’s gone…” > > After I ask what he means, he beats his fist > against his chest and explains what has escaped > him: “The fire.” +1 I laughed 'til I cried. Probably the best article on that entire site.

I have no personal life. When I go out people barely recognize me. Pretty sad actually

my friends, or old friends, all hate me now that I never come home. Sad state of affairs.

I don’t know, things are back to fine for me now. Yeah, there was a really really hard time over the past year for Dec. LI and June LII, but that’s done now, and I’m back in the good times. If anything, I appreciate it all just that much more. I love the time with my friends, yeah, I’m surely carrying reminiscent callouses as a result of the stress, but the ability of people to recover from hardship is astounding and to be honest, I don’t understand how you people are still moping around posting this crap right now. If you lack a social life at this point in the year, you cannot scapegoat it on CFA, go out and live your life man.

I was a pretty late starter for LII, so spent pretty much all my spare time studying during the last two months. My girlfriend was very supportive but definitely had no time to go the gym. After LII I was totally out of shape, gained over 10 lbs, though i fortunately passed. Recently, I work out almost everyday, since i know what’s going to happen next spring before LIII.

engineer2finance Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It’s been almost three weeks now since Mark took > the CFA exam, with three, perfectly actionable > weekends in between. Most other guys partied their > faces off after the exams, but for some reason, > Mark still hasn’t really gone out. He just sits on > the sofa in those unwashed mesh shorts, staring > off into space. He’s a shell, a shadow of who he > once was. It’s as if something inside of him has > died. > > “What the f***, man?” I’ll ask with a practiced, > artificial tone I like to call “emotion.” > > Mark takes a moment to respond, but finally lets > out: “It’s gone…” > > After I ask what he means, he beats his fist > against his chest and explains what has escaped > him: “The fire.” was that blog really true or exaggeration?

I beleive thats a story…most of the blogs by LSO are not 100% true…off course he touches the topics very well but in a bit more exaggerated and dramatic manner…and that is the reason why they are interesting to read…

“how has CFA prep affected your personal lives.” I may have more friends on AF than in real life. AF friends are great, but the fact that my “virtual” friends may outnumber my real ones is a little disturbing.

I’ve had a great time watching my daughter grow up over the last couple of months. She was born right after I got Level 1 results from December, and so she was brand new while the bulk of my studying was going on for L2. I still made time to be with her every night and studied while she slept, but I think I neglected my wife a bit in the process, not conciously, but out of necessity I guess. After the dust settled following the exam, it has been great just getting to go home at a reasonable hour, play with my little girl, sit down and eat dinner with my wife, etc. I agree with Swan that I still have some lingering stress effects and it definitly took me a few weeks to get things back on track with my wife. I didn’t really realize how much I affected her during those last few months, but looking back now, I was just a ball of stress all the time and there was no way for me to give her the attention she needed, plus she was dog tired all the time. Its a blessing that I passed the 1st time because I think she realizes that I went balls out and made the most of that time, and she has a newfound understanding for just how difficult these exams are. At the end of the day though, its just a test and everyone should move on, pass or fail, and enjoy life. In the future, when I hopefully have my charter, I seriously doubt I am going to remember how miserable I was as all that will fade, but I am damn sure going to remember seeing my little girl roll over for the first time.

Good question!! I believe I lost two friends just because I have been devoting most of my time in Barnes and Nobles, and Starbucks, instead of hanging out in pubs with them… Sad?? Should not be, as we are striving for the best and we can definitely find some true friends who would rather support us. But, I really started concerning my social skills after these two years…

I got divorced, lost most of my friends along with my house and my car and became addicted to crack cocaine.

budfox427 Wrote: > At the end of the day though, its just a test and > everyone should move on, pass or fail, and enjoy > life. In the future, when I hopefully have my > charter, I seriously doubt I am going to remember > how miserable I was as all that will fade, but I > am damn sure going to remember seeing my little > girl roll over for the first time. So true …

It has only made me better at multi tasking, a skill i knew nothing about before i started CFA studies… i think i havnt lost any thing because of my CFA studies, my friends respect me more for my discipline and for excersing self control during my prep days…and then we party hard after exams…and i keep calling them when i am taking a mid break in my prep days( no one can study 24 hours a day) …in fact i am much more regular at gym during last 2 months before exams than the rest of the year…so i think i havnt lost anyhting on personal level

Wow I saw this thread and thought it was May 2009 already. Isn’t 70% of AF still in the “don’t start studying yet” mood right now?

mook Wrote: > Isn’t 70% of AF still in the “don’t start studying > yet” mood right now? I don’t feel like I’m studying. I’m enjoying reading about behavior finance.