How important is location?

I actually live in Berkeley… and I do agree that people here tend to high five themselves over politics. As (probably) one of the least liberal people here, I can understand the frustration. But keep in mind that Berkeley is possibly the most liberal city in the state. People who live here do so for a reason (if it’s not for the university, then it’s for social views).

If we’re talking about somewhere like Laguna Beach, you’re likely to find more moderate people, for instance, rich retirees. And they might have different or at least broader views about the world.

And of course, it goes both ways - being based in San Francisco, I do get questions from people about gay stuff. It’s not all the time, but it does happen.

Agree 100%. Stereotypes like the one Ohai is propegating about our area is mostly spread by people who’ve never lived in the midwest or a rural area.

I’ve also gotten similar treatment to what Sweep got. F*ck smug people.

I’m was just saying that Southern California is more diverse than Columbus (it is).

And just as we start making progress, some congressman from the midwest talks about how woman can’t get pregnant from “legitimate rape.” Well, that just set the midwest back a few decades…

Fair enough. And if by “being more comfortable” you mean more diverse cuisine (like maybe if you’re indian being able to get good indian food, etc) that’s a fair point.

But the idea some people have that midwest and rural areas are inherently more racist is flawed. In fairness, we didn’t have many black kids in my high school. But growing up, I can honestly say I never experienced racism until I moved to a city, and I was kind of shocked to see the way race was treated there. I felt like people were way more conscious of cultural backgrounds etc in NYC and Philly.

Also, people like this always amaze me, no matter where I go. I’m super nice when I meet new people, and I can never wrap my mind around how some people think it’s okay to just launch into abrasive statements with new acquaintances (most of those people are easily offended too). And granted, I know that’s ironic given my online persona, but seriuosly.

Columbus has a HUGE Pride presense. It’s not the backwoods billybob buttfucking brady bunch you’re making it out to be.

^+1 for great use of alliteration

Racist is not the same as just being weird around people you are not used to. Where I grew up, everyone is Asian. There are no white people. I never met a black person until I went to college. In the off chance that we did get to meet a white guy, people are either shy, extra interested, or freak out in some way. Were people being actively racist? No - but you can bet that the white guy would feel weird around these sorts of people. People want to be somewhere where they don’t stand out for odd ways.

Funny how that works.

^ Respect.

Not many =/= none.

I’m just saying, it’s not like what black community we had was ostracisized. Huge latin community though, like 30%.

Love the midwestern women that migrate here to NY. We seem to attractive the better looking midwestern girls who don’t have the ego a lot of these born and raised northeast girls have. Much love for the midwestern states for this,

Yep, midwestern / rural girls are low maintainance and generally just more fun to hang out with.

All I gotta say is… as someone who needs diversity living in the midwest is balls.

Would much rather live in California… especially since you can live pretty well w/ that pay.

As others noted above, people here are super nice though.

maybe you meant to say “less pretty”

Kate Upton, often recognized as having midwestern features was born in Michigan.

In my experience the midwest in interesting. The women that stay away from the deep fried mayonaise balls and such are actually more attractive than many in NYC or Boston. They probably get more sleep and don’t smoke.

The girls in Laguna are insanely hot, no comparison to NYC, SF, midwest, whatever. For some reason women in Phoenix are hot too.

^Def - a lot of them have that girl next door look and haven’t been clubbing/drinking since the age of 14.

Yeah, not to be cheesy, but I def prefer girls that look good without makeup. If I go on a date and I can tell they put on a solid base of makeup I’m just not into it. I’ve found the rural girls are more likely to be able to pull it off, probably for the reasons listed above.