How is the salary of an Investment Risk analyst compared to the equity analyst who cover stocks?

Hi,

I am currently an entry-level investment risk analyst and wondering if i should become an equity analyst. I want to know:

1. Is the career for an investment risk analyst financialy rewarding? How is the salary of an Investment Risk analyst compared to the equity analyst who cover stocks?

2. Are there a lot of job opportunities for an invest risk analyst in the job market?

Thanks for your offering ideas :slight_smile:

Bill

maybe you should consider being a hedge fund manager - their salaries are pretty good

Interesting idea to be a hedge fund manager.

bncoxuk,

Your question is difficult to answer. I imagine that an entry-level risk analyst’s salary is comparable to an entry-level equity analyst’s salary. I can’t really comment intelligently on whether the salaries may or may not diverge as the years go on.

As you gain more experience as an Investment Risk Analyst you can expect more difficulties in making the transition out of the back/mid office, should that be an option you would like to keep open in the future.

What should matter right now is getting some initial work experience in the field (you really can’t be too picky about work right now) and wait until the job market rebounds in a couple of years. Then, you can make the transition to the equity side if you still want to.

You also need to be more clear on where you are referring to when you ask about the state of the job market. Are you talking the UK market? US? Canada?