How long does it usually take for firms to get back to you?

Assuming they’re going to get back to you at all, how long of a wait do people experience between submitting your information and getting a call-back? Also is it slower in certain seasons (such as holidays etc.) and, in the opinions of others, do people think that goverment positions take longer to touch-back relative to private industry?

It really varies. Sometimes its hours, sometimes its weeks. Did you apply for a position? In my cover letter, I indicate, “…and I will follow up next week accordingly.” No one will GIVE you a job, you must TAKE the job. Therefore be proactive and persistant.

KJH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It really varies. Sometimes its hours, sometimes > its weeks. Did you apply for a position? In my > cover letter, I indicate, “…and I will follow up > next week accordingly.” > > No one will GIVE you a job, you must TAKE the job. > Therefore be proactive and persistant. True KJH, I’ve never followed up on an application I submitted *hangs head in shame*- I guess I should.

No I have not yet, but I plan on doing so, but I’ve been reading the forums here and it seems that people have had problems with in-ordinate amount of time being taken in “waiting” for an offer. So i was curious how long it would take just get anything back whence you sent your info. It seems that the process all together could take many months just to accept an offer. Thanks for the post KJH. BTW, I was thinking of submitting an application this week, just to test the waters. i’m probably going to do an internship in late janaury, but I wanted to see what else I can get in terms of a real position. Do you think it being so close to the holidays that it would affect the response time?