How long is your commute to work?

Nope, currently grad student…hopefully entrepreneur in the future though.

I think I have the record here, 60 miles, 90 minutes one way.

McLeod81 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 45 min each way (7 min by helicopter). Dude, what’s up with that copter? :wink:

I’m guessing most of those who say they live within blocks of their workplaces don’t have families. Once you have kids, it becomes more difficult and less desirable to hole up in some outrageously-priced closet in the city. (Of course, I’m sure a few here can afford non-closets, but I’m guessing they’re in the minority.)

11 minute walk…sort of a closet at 1,500 sq. feet I guess.

Turkish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 11 minute walk…sort of a closet at 1,500 sq. > feet I guess. My wife wouldn’t even be able to fit her shoes in there!

“My wife wouldn’t even be able to fit her shoes in there!” What size does she wear?

75 minutes drive each way. crazy.

Turkish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “My wife wouldn’t even be able to fit her shoes in > there!” > > What size does she wear? Niiice. 1,500 SF isn’t a closet for one person. When you’re talking about 4 people, it gets a little tight.

“1,500 SF isn’t a closet for one person. When you’re talking about 4 people, it gets a little tight.” Certainly would…I had 4 people over once. I try not to entertain too often.

You had 4 friends?

“You had 4 friends?” Never said they were friends or the circumstances of which they came to be at my residence.

40 minutes, mostly subway. I work with someone who lives in northern PA and has a 2.5+ hour commute each way (we work in NYC). Can’t sell his house in this market. lol.

this is going to sound judgemental, but it really is a pet peeve of mine. Why do ppl commute 2 hours so their kids can live the “good life”. I grew up in in a super shady town with a family of 5 in 750 sq feet and I have to say that I never had a moment where I felt like I was poor or “missing” something until I went off to a first tier liberal arts college where I was surrounded by miserable rich kids. At some point our society has placed more value on providing their kids w/ nice spacious homes and gold star schools than one-on-one time with parents. I have plenty of friends who teach in stellar areas as well as the ghetto- and all of them will tell you that parental involvement is the biggest factor in success. The idea of moving away after kids and having a 2+ hr commute so that Billy can have a trampoline and Mrs. Homemaker can have a shoe closet the size of a manhattan studio really frustrates me. If you need more space, sell off some of the useless junk and stop buying crap; the money will be better spent on experiences anyway. I had a 2hr one way commute when I lived w/ my family and was saving money to build up some capital- but I don’t have kids. I felt guilty enough not hanging out w/ my dog.

Well said akanska. One of my top priorities is finding a job situation where I can spend less time driving and more time with kids. What a colossal waste of time. I can think of 100’s of things I’d rather be doing.

I am 29 Km from work, takes about 20 – 30 min depending on traffic.

30-60 minutes depending on traffic - I find that both sun and clouds, the slightest chance of precipitation, wind, must watch TV, etc - seem to cause unreasonable traffic.

15 miles - 25min drive

7 min walk. my office is strangely not downtown though.

5 min bus ride, 20 min walk.