How long to stay at first job?

This is a general question, how long do you think you need to stay with an employer for it “to look good?” 2 years? 3? 5?

There’s no easy answer to this question… it depends on what your current role is and your ultimate career goal. One year is enough to make it look like you’re not a job hopper in most situations. If you seriously hate your job, leave when you want but make sure you stay at your next company for well over a year- preferably two.

as long as you need to until you get your 2nd job.

Until your boss finds out you’re sleeping with his wife/daughter. I’ve found that’s usually a pretty good time to get your resume out.

in my case, 6 months… well actually 5 months, the last month was mandatory transition period for internal transfer

VeryCool Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > in my case, 6 months… well actually 5 months, > the last month was mandatory transition period for > internal transfer So you changed roles but stayed at the same company? I think the original poster meant to ask, how long should one stay at a company.