How many AFers are applying for MBA this year?

$tarving_Banker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > fredfunk04 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > phBOOM Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Dude, you people are killing the thread > here… > > > > > > How about we break it down this way: > > > > > > For IB, PE, HF: Wharton & Chicago > > > > > > For investment mgmt :Columbia & ? > > > > > > For VC, new venture, Tech: Stanford > > > > > > For Management: HBS, Kellogg > > > > > > For Strategy consulting: ??? > > > > > > i’d say for PE it’s more like Stanford and HBS. > > > does anyone know what schools come after that? > my > > guess is wharton and columbia? > > > > also, have any of you heard of anyone that was > > accepted to stanford and hbs, but rejected at > > lower schools? i imagine the process is > probably > > pretty efficient in terms of the rankings. > > wharton is a reach for me so i’m thinking > stanford > > and hbs would be a waste of time. > > > People got in H/S but got rejected by lower > schools is not news at all. The admin process is > a big black box and that is why you should apply > for more than 1 top schools. I have a friend (for > undergrad) who recently got rejected by WashU and > got in H. Well my guess is lower-ranked schools will reject top candidates b/c they know the candidate won’t accept. Why “waste” one of your class spots for someone who won’t accept rather than give it to someone who will happily take it?

phBOOM Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How about we break it down this way: > > For IB, PE, HF: Wharton & Chicago > > For investment mgmt :Columbia & ? > > For VC, new venture, Tech: Stanford > > For Management: HBS, Kellogg > > For Strategy consulting: ??? > > Please help me fill this out PHBoom: This is a great question. > For IB, PE, HF: Have to seperate IB & PE. Harvard is great for PE (At the top shops) but is probably not much better than NYU for plain old IB IB: Wharton, Chicago, Columbia. Several programs place well. Most in the top 15. > > For investment mgmt :Columbia, CHicago, Wharton, MIT > > For VC, new venture, Tech: Stanford, - The Cali schools are good for Silicon Valley > > For Management: Add Dartmouth & MIT (scientific approach is great for manufacturing and tech environments). Duke is a good mgmt program > > For Strategy consulting:HBS, Kellogg. Kellogg’s top 3 employers are McKinsey, Bain and BSG Several programs give you a good shot. These rankings get really hard.

Oh, to the OP: I will likely apply for an MBA next year. Chicago, Columbia, Dartmouth and MIT. Maybe NYU. No safe school (fallback is stay in current job whic is pretty solid).

I was accepted to NYU stern. Starting in a few months. Anyone from AF going to/at stern?

Dermot81: Congrats on getting into NYU. Care to share any tips and strategies? Buyicide: I actually heard the optimal number of schools is around 3-5. Too many you will not have enough time to put together compelling applications. And you will piss off recommenders big time if you ask for 8+ letters. Why no Harvard or Wharton?

phBOOM Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dude, you people are killing the thread here… > > How about we break it down this way: > > For IB, PE, HF: Wharton & Chicago > > For investment mgmt :Columbia & ? > > For VC, new venture, Tech: Stanford > > For Management: HBS, Kellogg > > For Strategy consulting: ??? I’d be a little wary of trying to divide things too finely…programs do have their specialties but overall ranking is by far the most important.

$tarving_Banker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dermot81: Congrats on getting into NYU. Care to > share any tips and strategies? > > Buyicide: I actually heard the optimal number of > schools is around 3-5. Too many you will not have > enough time to put together compelling > applications. And you will piss off recommenders > big time if you ask for 8+ letters. Why no Harvard > or Wharton? I would agree with that. A few good apps > than many ok pps. 5 is reasonable because I have already done the GMAT and will apply in the fall of 2010. I will have plenty of time to work on essays. I will probably work with a consultant. Harvard isn’t in the cards for me. My best fit is schools ranked 5-10. I picked the ones that are best for finance. I don’t have the “wow” factor that HBS/Stanford look for. Wharton would be a reach but more realistic than HBS. I don’t think I’m a fit there, though. They want a global (foreign work exp, multiple languages) exposure that I don’t bring to the table. Dermott: Congrats on getting into NYU. That’s a great finance school and you got in during a very competitive year. Nice.

I am thinking of applying to 6-9 schools, HBS, Stanford included. Even with the low acceptance rate, I think we owed to ourselves to at least try. Heck, if people are willing to spend hundreds $ every year on lottery tickets with .000000000000001 winning rate, why not spend $250 with a 5- 10% winning rate?? A general question, if I get accepted in round 1, will the schools give you enough time to wait out the results from round 2 from other schools before committing?

I’m aiming for 5 schools in rd 1 (top 7 less HBS and Stanford), and another 3 in rd 2 (HBS, and 2 “safeties” ranked between 10-15). Still a lot of work to do though: write great essays, get recs, visit schools, interview. Damn it’s a lot of work. Makes my CFA feel easy in comparison.

This is going to be one wild ride…

DirtyZ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m aiming for 5 schools in rd 1 (top 7 less HBS > and Stanford), and another 3 in rd 2 (HBS, and 2 > “safeties” ranked between 10-15). Still a lot of > work to do though: write great essays, get recs, > visit schools, interview. Damn it’s a lot of > work. Makes my CFA feel easy in comparison. It’s a lot of work - and money. Are you visiting schools before you apply? I have to find out if that’s important. My targets are geographically concentrated except for Chicago so I can do most in a few days. Visiting HBS, Stanford and Darden will get pricey. $250 an app. $50 for an additional GMAT score. Transcripts. Travel for interviews - even if you do not visit before applying. Its an expensive proposition. I will likely use a consultant for my essays and that will run me some dough as well. I just will not do more than 5. Essays are tough. I have the “Goals” stuff down but some of them will be tough. There are certain essays that I just cannot answer well.

Thanks. I got into the part time program, which is a little less competitive, but I’m excited and thankful regardless. For those curious my profile is: GMAT: over 700 Undergrad: State school GPA: 3.3 Experience: Sell side equity research in NYC Extracurricular: Very minimal Letters of rec: Both from alumni

NYU PT is reputable. I recall that the stats were comparable to the FT program there.

Dermott - what are your post MBA goals? Correct me if I am wrong bit it seems as if most ppl do pt MBA and don’t switch careers… What are you looking to gain from the part time program? I may be leaning this way as well.

buyicide - I’ll likely visit a few of the schools in Sept. I’m not sure if it helps much, but I don’t want to leave any stone unturned. I’m in NYC, so Columbia and Wharton won’t be hard to see. The booth/kellogg trip seems like it might be overkill…I’m still considering whether it’s worth the time, money, and effort. Another option would be to wait until you get an interview invite, then fly out and kill two birds with one stone by doing the interview, class, and tour all in one go. On another note, I’m curious to see how many apps there are this year. Foreign apps may be down due to funding and visa issues. Other apps may be down due to the fact that bschool students are getting crap jobs this year. Who wants to leave 2 years of salary on the table and shell out $100k+ to come out and work in general management at Target? (no offense to those that do…but to me it doesn’t seem like a good value proposition). These potential declines however will be more than offset by all the unemployed bankers who are making a go of it.

buyicide, what was your GMAT, if you don’t mind me asking?

1. Average for my targets. I emailed an MBA consultant and explained my profile. He said I was “competitive” at my targets. I’d rather be a shoe-in but I’ll take competitive.

DirtyZ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > buyicide - I’ll likely visit a few of the schools > in Sept. I’m not sure if it helps much, but I > don’t want to leave any stone unturned. I’m in > NYC, so Columbia and Wharton won’t be hard to see. > The booth/kellogg trip seems like it might be > overkill…I’m still considering whether it’s > worth the time, money, and effort. Another option > would be to wait until you get an interview > invite, then fly out and kill two birds with one > stone by doing the interview, class, and tour all > in one go. > > On another note, I’m curious to see how many apps > there are this year. Foreign apps may be down due > to funding and visa issues. Other apps may be > down due to the fact that bschool students are > getting crap jobs this year. Who wants to leave 2 > years of salary on the table and shell out $100k+ > to come out and work in general management at > Target? (no offense to those that do…but to me > it doesn’t seem like a good value proposition). > These potential declines however will be more than > offset by all the unemployed bankers who are > making a go of it. I read a chat with B-School Adcoms on acceted.com. During this past application season, quantity of applicants was down but quality was up. My interpretation: I guess a lot of bankers/financial pros with great resumes got laid off and applied for B-School. However, less non industry people are applying to Business School due to fears about job prospects. My hope is that the laid off bankers/financial pros have already applied by 2009 and 2010 app season. If that’s the case, then this year and the next should be a little easier - There will probably be less foreign kids and less engineers and liberal arts people looking to jump into MBA for biz/finance careers. I wouldn’t be surprised if talented non-industry people avoid B-School for awhile. That is just a hunch. Not at all fact-based.

Is it even seriously possible to start studying for the GMAT and finish b-school apps by October 1st?

dennis2085 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is it even seriously possible to start studying > for the GMAT and finish b-school apps by October > 1st? I hope so. I started w/ the GMAC books about two weeks ago. I’m going to take the exam in the beginning of Sept, and work on my apps as soon as they come out as if I was studying for the CFA exam. lol