How many hours left in your "study plan"?

There are a couple of people up in L3 right now with those years of experience and that title and want to do it just for the challenge.

Yes, and they’re called ‘liars’

That’s not true at all, cjones65. You shouldn’t make blanket statements like that - it’s rude, and it simply displays your ignorance.

I wonder what the scores are of the top 1% of all CFA test takers. Do they get like I wonder how many questions do they get right… like 115/120 on average?

I wish I could say I’m doing it for just the challenge. Unfortunately there are people way smarter and a lot richer than I am that really are doing it for the challenge. I assume you’re pretty recent out of college. As you move on in life you’ll come across the people like this and good chance that you’ll probably be working for them.

Well, given that 2008 and 2009 have seen very volatile markets, I wonder what the opportunity cost of studying for the CFA is as opposed to more actively managing your book and performing in-depth analysis. Surely you’d have to be in a great position at work so that the “challenge” in your life could be passing the CFA as opposed to anything else. Not that I’m saying there aren’t those who pursue the charter just for the challenge, I just have a tough time imagining a PM with 20 years experience staying up late to study for the exam while actively managing his/her book throughout the day, maintaining a stable client base. Personally, I’d be more focused on making sure they stay happy (or less mad) than on my “challenges” of pursuing the CFA charter. Then again, I’m sure one is already in a good position if they are a portfolio manager for 20 years and have the opportunity and desire to study for the exams. I think I’d be happy in that spot, and can’t really judge those that are in that do decide to pursue the charter. :slight_smile:

mp2438 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > if you’re a PM at a fund with over 20 years > experience, remind me again why you would pursue > the charter? :slight_smile: If you thought I was a PM with 20 yrs of exp - then to give you a ballpark estimate, my CFA ‘relevant’ experience is 0/48. I wish I was one though.

Good points mp but they’re definitely out there. There are also people out there that work past 65 and give all their monies to charity. Me, I’d prefer to retire early and donate a smaller portions to charities. Anomolies… that’s for sure but the people that go for it and can handle all things at one time are successful for a reason.

Thanks for all the input. Now I see I should ramp up the plan a little bit. Was hoping 400 hours of study. Now it seems a lot of people are way over that.

I’m in for megamillions or whatever lottery is tonight- $155 million. You know, just in case this whole CFA gig doesn’t work out.

bannisja Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m in for megamillions or whatever lottery is > tonight- $155 million. You know, just in case > this whole CFA gig doesn’t work out. As the exam draws nearer I start to think about the lottery more and more, as I did during Level 1, mainly in the hope that with four weeks to go I’ll win $10 million and save myself 4 weeks of sheer hell by retiring on the spot…

200 hours

prob gonna spend around another 200 Hrs… Got a week off right before and I am going to go all out

AHHHH, why is this so painful?

Same thing… 200 hours to go…I need superglue to make some of this nonsense stick.

I did 380 so far…planning for 530 by 6th June… When I first read on AF about people counting their hours…I found it too childish… but after doing it myself for over two months…I must admit…it improved my efforts at least by 20 % Obviously efforts are many a times not correlated with results…specially for those who are too much worried about results

in total i will need about 250 hours