How many practice exams needed?

Stalla has one book with 3 exams, while Schweser is offering 2 books with 3 exams each. Can someone comment on the utility of getting an extra exam book from Schweser? As much as we will like to solve more problems, it has to be balanced against the time available until the Exam Day . We also have CFA Text Book Qs plus 3 AM exams available from CFAI itself. Will appreciate comments from previous L3 folks on this topic. thanks,

good question. i had the second book for level 2 and found it so hard i’m not sure it helped me at all. it did kill my confidence though :slight_smile:

For L2, I don’t remember 2 books by Schweser. Infact, there was only one exam book that I bought, so not sure how they have now come up with 2 books now & which one should be bought.

abacus, they called it book 6 and it came with the standard schweser, but it was an exam book. there have been two sets of exam books for years.

The only practice exams worth doing are the actual previous years essay sections imo. Unless you have a lot of time to waste it’s better spent actually learning the material rather than practicing what little you know. The multiple choice questions aren’t hard IF you know the material; you shouldn’t need to practice solving generic questions.

The program changes from year to year, but here’s what worked for me. Ranked by importance: 1. CFAI Online - If you are willing to pay for all of them, these are the best. 2. BSAS - Huge value for the money, very similar to the exam in difficulty and content. 3. Schweser Book 6 - tons of questions 4. SchweserPro - tons of questions that you can take on screen or print use during lunch. Schweser Book 7 - i looked at this book once at L1 and almost went into convulsions. confidence destroyer for all but the super nerdish. I used a different strategy than many candidates. I started taking questions early to uncover what I didn’t know. Getting 40s on early sample tests didn’t bother me. It allowed me to pound away at my weaknesses well before it was crunchtime. A reasonable amount of studying and some quality time with the four sample test providers above should be plenty of material imho.

I liked Schweser for L1 and L2. However, for L3 I’m going to go through the CFAI exams from 2001-2007 first, only doing the Schweser tests if I have time.

I like this question. It always occurs to me in the two previous levels.

DirtyZ: I saw 05-07 exams on CFAI. Where did you find 01-04 exams? Thanks,

Does this mean that you are getting the Schweser Questions & Exams Pack and not the Essential Solution? I’m deciding between the two packages. For $130 extra, they give you Book 7 and Quicksheet. I found Book 7 to be of little use in the first two levels. Maybe those who passed Level 3 can answer this question: Is it worthwhile to get Book 7?

abacus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > DirtyZ: I saw 05-07 exams on CFAI. Where did you > find 01-04 exams? Thanks, Old exams can be found here http://cfasuccess.com/cs/files/

Hi Lig, Thanks for your guidance. But sorry I could not get what BSAS means, which is your second recomendation.

BSAS = Boston Security Analysts Society http://www.bsas.org

DirtyZ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I liked Schweser for L1 and L2. However, for L3 > I’m going to go through the CFAI exams from > 2001-2007 first, only doing the Schweser tests if > I have time. This is the approach I took and it works well. Collate the IPS sections for all the different Institution IPS, e.g. banks, trusts, etc. this stuff WILL come up… Also, the actual exam papers show a very good sample of Individual IPS as well. Good luck.

Thanks Wilier - I’ll stick with that plan then.