How Much $$ Do You Make?

Smarshy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jalmy8 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Smarshy Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Seriously. We’re all freinds here. And it’s > > > anonymous. > > > > > > So what kind of jack are you puling down? > > > > > > And how do you expect it to change with the > > > coveted designation? > > > > > > why don’t you go first? > > > Fair enough…I apologize for not having done that > initially. > > First, let me set the context: > > I am 36 years old, with 15 years experience and an > MBA, and I’m a VP at a firm you’ve all heard of. > I’m in a private equity-like position. > > My base is low six figures, and my bonus is 2-3 > times my base (in a decent year) > > With this designation, I’m not hoping so much to > increase my salary, as I am hoping to actually > earn the salary I already have. I’m curious to know how long it took you to get where you are and how many people you had to beat out. This is a serious question, btw. My guess is that many ppl don’t make it to your level, or even close. After years of trying to get in to the front without success, I’ve decided that I can make a decent enough living (six figures) doing other things, but I always wonder about what I could have had if I successfully got it.

I make little enough to provide enough motivation to continue on with this torturous quest I call the CFA : (

akanska Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I make little enough to provide enough motivation > to continue on with this torturous quest I call > the CFA : ( I second that!.. Its amazing how people will never talk about how much they actually get paid… Smashy… What grad school did you go to?

Can we get back to vietnam dong (VND) jokes or at least integrate them with each post?

To be honest, I just wanted to see if I could create a thread that got more than 10 replies, like so many of you do. Seems I did that. My next goal will be to make it to more than one page of replies. I went full time MBA at a well known grad school in the northeast. I’m not going to tell you which, because for pete’s sake, I’ve told you how much I make, what I do for a living, you want me to post where I went to school? I might as well post a picture of myself naked. Part of me regrets starting this thread, and another part finds it so interesting. This is the heart of the matter, after all. People earn the designation to make money. You don’t pass level III and then join the peace corps. Trying to think of a vietnamese dong joke…coming up short…I guess that’s a joke in and of itself…

Too be honest, and I know this sounds stupid, I started the designation to make money, but at this point, I could care less about the money, I just want to do a job I love, I love the content of the material, and I want to be a respected member of the finance comunity, basically, in a sick way I like the challenge and fell this is the first thing I will do in my career for which I will be extremely proud if I succeed. If it was about money, I would never be able to study this much, I’m simply not that disciplined. I always tell people, the CFA is a good way to find out if this is the career you should be in, because if you don’t love the finance, you will most likely not make it through the rigorous 3 years of studying.

That doesn’t sound stupid at all. That sounds awesome.

black swan I was talking to a friend today and I told him the same thing! I pity the guys that are into this challenge and don’t like it. they won’t survive or it must be hell. let’s face it the most of us are interested in what we learn

I just realized that I posted that I was 36, but I forget that I turned 37 last March. That’s pretty lame. Seriously, as you get older, you forget how old you are.

This is going to totally change my google search

Black Swan, that fits me exactly as well. It’s not about the money at this point (well maybe a little) but the main motivation is to actually enjoy what you are doing. And the CFA is a good way to see if you actually enjoy this stuff. Do any of you find it hard getting paid in Vietnamese dong? I always have trouble when I am at a club and I go to pay for a drink, pulling out some of my dong to pay never ends up getting me what I want. Maybe I just need to find a new club…

I made it to 2 pages!

I feel your pain wanderingcfa, I tried to tip the starbucks waitress by sticking a handful of my vietnamese dong in the tip jar and they almost kicked me out.

i just want to be happy and feel like I add value, and get compensated based on that. that is it.

I want to be miserable/crash a Ferrari weekly/do a lot of coke…thats what CFA means to me.

I am pretty sure I work for free!

Actually what I really want is to make enough money to be able to roll like this guy: http://kristinwalldesigns.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/bling.gif

oh, you mean pinkman?

N.VanCandidate Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I make one hundred > billion… > > > > > > > > > …rupies… The exchange rate is $1=40 rupees… you sure about that:)

^^ haha…exactly! I think he meant Liras…:slight_smile: