How much do you work a day still?

And be honest.

(I’m only typing this second line out because it made me type at least 20 characters).

Depends. During the past three weeks, I haven’t done jack ■■■■. I’ve worked literally max. 8 hours total or something like that. Everyone’s on vacation and summers are pretty quiet anyways. But in May, June and first half of July I worked insane hours. Sometimes 16-17h days because it was pure chaos thanks to corona. The good thing about WFH when you have nothing to do is that you don’t have to pretend that you’re doing something productive so you can go for a run or to the gym instead. Today I took an hour long nap from 2 to 3.

About the same. Maybe a little less in hours because my output per hour is up. And instead of the gym midday, I take a nap

I’m working significantly more. Haven’t really thought about the hours/week breakdown, but likely somewhere in the 50+ range of actual, dialed in work. Can’t really get away from it. I wake up around 7:30, have a coffee, and sitting at my desk by 8am. Basically I don’t move other than walking around my kitchen with a headset on conference calls. Usually shut it down around 6:30, but not uncommon to stay until 8.

i plead the fizith

It sounds like some folks are working some pretty low-level jobs on here that don’t require a high degree of being plugged in. There’s a freedom in not having people that are looking for your opinion constantly. And that should be celebrated, absolutely.

Yes, I’m glad no one really understands what I do. And the people who work for me are more asynchronous in nature

That’s my niche.

i’m sorry i dont work 100 hours a day.
i’m sorry i love work so much i consider it play
I’m sorry for the times that I had to go
I’m sorry for the fact that I did not know

If I can apologize for being wrong, then it’s just a shame on me
I’ll be the reason for your pain and you can put the blame on me

Don’t be like the dude who said that ”the movement is everything, the final goal is nothing”. By the end of the day, only what you accomplish matters, not the amount of energy and hustle you put in! Work smarter, not harder my dude!

I’ve been working insane hours (maybe three all nighter’s a week) but mostly due to temporary effects, a lot of them tied to new role and some due to just life transitions going on right now. Nothing wrong with working less, personal decision. I was super happy when I was in my 20’s and working for the weekend although I’m glad I had the opportunity to step up when the time came when I was 30. Personally I have seen satisfaction go way up when I had a job that kept me fully engaged and locked in feeling like every day there was room for progression and what I did mattered or at least was noticed with little routine. My new gig is super efficient about meetings, usually well under two hours a day max which is nice as well.

If you’re going to spend most of your life doing something hopefully it’s something you find some sense of engagement in. But at the same time it’s also somewhat unfair that I think a lot of people never simply get the opportunity for roles like that, seems they are increasingly scarce.

I also noticed that it’s a parent phenomenon that you have your first child, go through despair a bit your first year as your life changes then in the second year (after first birthday) really settle into a groove and enjoy it. A lot of this is clearly because the kids grow out of being a screaming blob and actually increasingly interact, but there’s also I think an element I wonder about where maybe people settle into their new surroundings and adjust their expectations (as humans do) and maybe a bit of Stockholm Syndrome while we’re at it. So I also wonder if having a rat race job where I feel relevant is more of the former (the job improved and became interactive) or the latter (adjusted life expectations to a new normal / Stockholm Syndrome).

Hard to know, although this is I what I wanted and I’m pretty happy now and was happy when I was younger so I guess the proof is in the continuum arc of enjoyment, but who knows, epistemology is a fickle ■■■■■.

Well, two things. One, Edouard had it right, but two, I’m just injecting a little humor for the ambitious folks on here, ok? Don’t be too defensive in life, you’ll live longer.

I wasn’t trying to come off as defensive. I just see a lot of peeeps who see as long hours as the sign of hard work. Especially in an analysts job where you need to think about stuff from many angles, being submersed in an analysis for hours on end can actually be counterproductive.

would you rather work smart. or work long and dumb. its a no brainer. granted if you work hard, you’ll eventually learn to work smart.