How much for Christmas Gifts for Significant Other?

I say Black Swan should refer his girlfriend to this thread shortly after she gets the laptop so she can see that half the AF regulars had an opinion about her gift.

Wow. A MacBook Air. That sounds over the top to me, especially if the GF is new. If you’re going to buy something in that price range, I suspect jewelry or a trip somewhere would make her happier/feeling warm and fuzzy inside.

But you seem like a nice guy, when it comes to presents. What are you doing Saturday night? :wink:

Great story Numi. Good suggestion about Tiffany’s less than $250 section, I’ll check it out.

I was thinking of getting one of these bad boys as Christmas present for my wife but I might take your advise before I pull the trigger on this purchase.

http://www.bigw.com.au/home-garden/storage-laundry-washing/sewing/bpnBIGW_0000000083979/singer-2250-traditional-sewing-machine?utm_source=GoogleProductFeed&utm_medium=cpc&origin={adtype}&id={adwords_producttargetid}

She’s been begging for one of these for about 2 years. I don’t understand it but it’s what she wants.

BS is definitely in love.

Also, pretty extravagant for a “broke” person.

You could go th e regular laptop route…a lot of great laptops for around 500 or so.

I think that’s a bad idea. If she’s a Mac fan, spending $500 on a PC will just look cheap even though you’re spending $500.

Quoted for truth.

yo son, if i ever move to harlem we can do some kick ins and use cash that to start up a dopeline together. It’ll be like a fucked up new jack city with excel spreadsheets, we’ll have shit on lock son!!

I agree with Palantir - a regular laptop should be ok. BS mentioned that her current laptop is a “1980s looking non-functioning brick of a unit” (or something along those lines). If she’s accustomed to a Windows system, it’s not easy switching to a Mac. And the specific applications she uses (nursing?) may be different. Even MS Office 2010 in my work laptop and MS Office 2011 in my home Mac are different.

Spoken like a true beta. A Macbook Air. f*cking LMAO

for a 1 year relationship, def. overboard.

and as others said, not a good idea to set the bar too high

^yup. also really don’t want to start a relationship on a “you have a problem, i’ll fix it” note.

To completely contradict the above:

I crashed at a former gfs place part of a summer and then all winter for an internship during college. She was a graphic design major with a ishty laptop that stressed her outa ll the time. Bought her a new laptop in lieu of rent. As far as I can tell it didnt hurt the relationship dynamic at all. She didn’t expect huge gifts in the future or anyhting(positive effect if at all)

I didn’t get her a Macbook Air though because she needed a computer that could run programs more intensive than Microsoft Office and I didn’t feel like flushing money away.

I’m gonna let that one go because I like you, and you’re sensitive. I don’t want to scare you off the boards for another month.

Yeah, I view this as a more of a one time deal because she has put up with an enormous amount of sh*t so far and been a real saint. I honestly was only planning on doing like $100-$200, but the laptop thing has just been bugging me this whole year watching her struggle with it, so I finally just said f* it. I hate compromising. Every other present just felt cheap because for the past year the laptop was what I knew she needed and it was the present I actually wanted to get. MacBook Air just because she’s always borrowing mine and talking about how it’s the coolest thing since sliced bread.

I think Clever_CFA seems to generally get where I’m coming from on this one.