How much should the US Government help Haiti?

phils23 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > brianr Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > phils23 Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > - You have over a million Haitian (or of > > origin) > > > living in the US? > > > > Are we not a nation of immigrants? Such flawed > > logic phils23. > > > > I agree with markbot here. > > So what? Are you actually comparing Irish, Italian > or Polish immigrants whose “countries” are > thousand miles away to Haiti? Since some countries are geographically disadvantaged they should receive no aid then ? Brillant concept. I’m not being sarcastic either, very solid thinking here.

phils23 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > kkent Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I support short-term relief–as much as is > needed. > > They are our hemispheric neighbors and this is > a > > horrible human tragedy. However, the long-term > aid > > appears to have been a waste. We gave $3 > billion > > to Haiti since 1993. From what I have read, > nearly > > all of it has been pocketed by the top 5% who > live > > in compounds. At some point, a nation has to > not > > cast its pearls at swine. But we also need to > make > > sure that tens of thousands of Haitians don’t > pour > > into Florida or other parts of the U.S. They > are > > so uneducated and so far removed from normal > > society that I really don’t think they can > offer > > America anything except more slums. So, we need > a > > balance here–enough aid to keep Haitians from > > coming here. Give us Mexicans, give us > Chileans, > > but please, God, don’t give us Haitians. > > Quick question : Why would Chileans, of all > people, come to the US? They have a better pension > and health system overthere to begin with! > > As for Haitians, they usually take on jobs that > Americans don’t want to take anyway. have you seen their women? Or eaten their food. (Don’t throw exceptions at me!!)

phils23 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > markbot Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Haiti is a sovereign nation with $11B GDP per > > annum. US tax payers didn’t elect their > > representatives so that their taxes could go to > > Haiti…unless this has a benefit to Americans. > > Although, most Americans don’t pay any taxes so > > perhaps this is the reason for such generosity > as > > it is other people’s money. The top 20% of > earners > > earns half the income but pay 90% of the taxes. > > > > The US is often criticized for meddling in the > > affairs of other countries, even when it > directly > > affects US interests. Meddling in the affairs > of > > Haiti, even during a disaster, doesn’t even > help > > Americans. So do we only help other countries > when > > there is no benefit to Americans? We > redistribute > > wealth in the US more than enough for my taste, > > now we get to do it across countries…from US > > tax payers to foreigners? > > > > There was the Marshall Plan that stabilized > parts > > of Europe and prevented the USSR from entering > a > > power vacuum. In this case, how much does the > US > > have to gain? > > > > If Americans want to help Haiti, they can > donate > > their own money. > > > > I think emergency support for Haiti is > > justified…but anything beyond that I am > > against. Why should we help Haiti rebuild when > > there are poor people all over the world that > need > > help? Where does it stop? I am tired of being > > taxed. Doesn’t the US have its own problems to > > worry about…why take on other people’s? > > > > Let Haiti take care of itself. It is NOT the > > problem of the US. > > How is Haiti “NOT a problem of the US” when : > - The US occupied Haiti between 1915 and 1934 > - The US have been involved in Haiti’s politics > since Aristide came to power in 1991 > - You have over a million Haitian (or of origin) > living in the US? > > How do you think the US government would like > millions or hundred thousands Haitians trying to > get into Florida? > > Educating yourself and reading a history book or > two would do you no harm, you know. 1) > How is Haiti “NOT a problem of the US” when : > - The US occupied Haiti between 1915 and 1934 > - The US have been involved in Haiti’s politics > since Aristide came to power in 1991 > - You have over a million Haitian (or of origin) > living in the US? That occupation was a very long time ago…it is not our problem anymore. Some people think what the US is doing now in Haiti is “occupation”. Since you think occupation is so bad, then by your own logic the US should stop helping haiti in the way they are currently. I don’t see the connection between being involved in Haitian politics and US tax payers transferring their wealth without consent to Haiti for nothing in return. You act like the US is responsible for the earthquake and the subsequent ineffectual Haitian emergency infrastructure. If anything, the amount of money we have already transferred to Haiti should absolve us from any previous supposed wrongdoing. Haiti is lucky to have such a prosperous neighbor in the US…otherwise they would be in even worse condition, such as Nigeria et al. 2) How do you think the US government would like millions or hundred thousands Haitians trying to get into Florida? The US can keep Haitians out for less than $100M. US tax payers shouldn’t have to shoulder the cost of haitian’s inadequate government and economic productivity. 3) > Educating yourself and reading a history book or > two would do you no harm, you know. your ad hominem attacks are not welcome.

well you’re screwed now phils23, markbot just used ‘ad hominem’ in his reply. You clearly have no comeback now and may as well withdraw gracefully from the field. Just be grateful he didn’t use ‘logical fallacy’ against you (a fate worse than a fate worse than death)