How much time are you spending in economics?

I am looking to wind up in two weeks using Schweser for the most part. I knew it’s not how much time I spent on a subject that matters. By just covering Schweser for the most part and CFAI book for references, I am just looking at the subject in the exam point of view and I am really uncomfortable with it. Could you comment how difficult the questions on economics might be? I am doing pretty OK with the practice questions. I have no previous exposure to the subject. CFAI suggest using “Economics” by Perkin as a reference (pretty large book ).

econ provides the least bang for the buck ,so to speak. it doesnt make sense to read thru the whole of cfai text for econ. just do schweser notes and attempt the questions at the end of the econ cfai book. familiarise yourself with marco econ: the graphs and curves.short run,long run effects etc micro: competition etc global econ: currency/fwd/spot/inflation rates the exam had a lot of 2 part questions,so it can be tricky. but in anycase, this is the section you afford to bomb, IF you score very well in fsa,ethics and equity

L1 in June 07 was, by far, the toughest section. Know your sh*t.

As long as I need to.

Dsylexic Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > econ provides the least bang for the buck ,so to > speak. it doesnt make sense to read thru the whole > of cfai text for econ. just do schweser notes and > attempt the questions at the end of the econ cfai > book. > > familiarise yourself with marco econ: the graphs > and curves.short run,long run effects etc > micro: competition etc > global econ: currency/fwd/spot/inflation rates > > the exam had a lot of 2 part questions,so it can > be tricky. but in anycase, this is the section you > afford to bomb, IF you score very well in > fsa,ethics and equity i second that. Esp so if you have an econs bkgrd too.

I have allocated one month to read the whole CFAI book and to take notes… It is really difficult material and if you do not study in detail, you will not find the correct answer.

I thought of finishing it in two weeks and and end up in stressing out myself and fall sick. But I finished more than 90%. Its a lot of material to read for 10% of the exam questions. Good luck to you.

Dsylexic Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > econ provides the least bang for the buck ,so to > speak. it doesnt make sense to read thru the whole > of cfai text for econ. just do schweser notes and > attempt the questions at the end of the econ cfai > book. > > familiarise yourself with marco econ: the graphs > and curves.short run,long run effects etc > micro: competition etc > global econ: currency/fwd/spot/inflation rates > > the exam had a lot of 2 part questions,so it can > be tricky. but in anycase, this is the section you > afford to bomb, IF you score very well in > fsa,ethics and equity Where is the global econ section? I certainly did not see any global Econ stuff in the Econ reading.

Is it because you didnt know know your shit or was it really just that hard? Did you take any econ in uni? kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > L1 in June 07 was, by far, the toughest section. > Know your sh*t.

I honestly share CFAI’s viewpoint. There is no shortcuts. You have to read everything, know everything and master everything. Thinking about how deep you should go, what sections you could afford to fail and where you can get more knowledge spending less time won’t get you closer to pass. That’s what my non-CFA experience shows and that’s what my feelings were after I sat an examination. Just fight and that’s all.

Agree fully with Kjarro. Why would you not master the econ material? Don’t you want to give yourself every chance to pass? Sure, there is less material so you may spend lest time overall on econ compared to FSA but it depends on your background. IMHO econ was the hardest section on the June exam. Anytime you know you are getting creamed on an entire section it messes with your confidence.