How to ask a relative for a job in PE?

A relative - my cousin is married to someone who’s brother-in-law runs a boutique Private Equity shop. With my research background, I’m sure I could be of some use and could also learn the transaction side of things along the way. How do I go about asking this person for an opportunity. I’d be willing to work for free.

If you’re willing to work for free it may not be all that difficult. Just ask for an introduction and state your intentions. Obviously it depends on his personality and what he thinks about this kind of hook up.

pimp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’d be willing to work for free. While I can empathize with your point - this could be viewed as a negative.

Wow, you must have a close-knit family. I don’t even know who my cousin’s spouse’s sibling’s spouses are, let alone what they do for a living. Regardless, as topher said, just ask. It’s not like he’s going to laugh in your face and blackball you in the industry. If you’re not comfortable being so direct, maybe ask if he has some time available to discuss ways you could position yourself to get into the industry.

Nepotism you say? Blech. Other than that, offer to take him out for a coffee, explain your goals and ask him for guidance. Might be that he knows someone who can help. Wouldn’t ask for a job direct, bit cheesy. He’ll know you are looking, no need to ask.

If all you want is some experience, go ahead and ask. To some extent, family is that group of people who, when you show up, they have to take you in (as long as you haven’t done anything too horrible). You tell them thi is an area where you want to work, you (hopefully) know at least a little about, and really need some experience and he/she can help. You then say you are happy to work for just the experience and connections, and let some other family member put on a bit of pressure to give you at least a tiny stipend to cover drinking expenses.

My uncle ran FOREX @ Lehman for a decade and then ran a quasi national bank in Japan. I never ever once asked him for anything more than advice, there is no quicker way to discount your legitimacy than by asking for a family connection.

That may be true, but in Asia, it’s quite normal. I’d do it for a year without pay just to learn about the business and then go elsewhere.

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > ran a quasi national bank in Japan. >

Just ask him. Who cares if it’s family? If I get a job through my school’s alumni job board, is it any different?

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just ask him. Who cares if it’s family? If I get a > job through my school’s alumni job board, is it > any different? Definitely is different.

Nothing wrong with asking a family member for an interview opportunity or job. As long as you are interested in the field, demonstrate how you would be a great fit, are generally qualified for the position or field, and motivated, why not? This is called networking.

Come on people. His cousin’s spouse’s sibling’s spouse is hardly family in the common usage of the word. AM, you’ve probably “you know’ed” a closer “relative” without realizing it.

Some guy I know actually hooked up with this girl. And then they meet each other at a wedding and turns out that they are second cousins. (Not me)

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Some guy I know actually hooked up with this girl. > And then they meet each other at a wedding and > turns out that they are second cousins. (Not me) hahahha it was YOU

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My uncle ran FOREX @ Lehman for a decade and then > ran a quasi national bank in Japan. > > I never ever once asked him for anything more than > advice, there is no quicker way to discount your > legitimacy than by asking for a family connection. you will learn the hard way

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ASSet_MANagement Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > My uncle ran FOREX @ Lehman for a decade and > then > > ran a quasi national bank in Japan. > > > > I never ever once asked him for anything more > than > > advice, there is no quicker way to discount > your > > legitimacy than by asking for a family > connection. > > > you will learn the hard way How so? I’ve become fairly successful for my age without relying on my family for $ or jobs. I just think nepotism is pretty scummy, I’d rather give a job to a poor, smart, deserving, kid, than a cousin who might be qualified but hasn’t worked as hard for the current position. Networking =/= milking family connections.

Eh, arguably a lot more is attributed to family than first single jobs. For instance, my parents didn’t help me get a job, but they paid for my college tuition and provided a stable nurturing environment for 18 years or so. So even if I’m extremely badass, I can’t say that I’m here without help. As for this thread, I’m sure that this guy is not going to be hired by his cousin’s spouse’s brother-in-law if he is an incompetent buffoon.

Yeah this isn’t a family connection (pretty distant), but to AM’s point, I don’t see anything wrong with using family connections. Should the Walton kids (of Walmart) denied inheritance of their family business because it proves that they’re soft and couldn’t have made it on their own? People have advantages in many different areas and it’s not always cut and dry to say who became successful purely because of their hard work. What if some PE analyst’s parents were rich and they were able to send him to a top private high school where 50%+ end up in the Ivy’s and that pretty much set him up for the profession of his choosing? Yeah this guy probably worked hard but he “used” a connection. Maybe no family member actually gave him that PE job and he “got it on his own.”

there is no quicker way to discount your legitimacy than by asking for a family connection - there is also a pretty quick way to discount your qualifications, by banging them against a brick HR wall. his cousin’s spouses’ brother-in-law? really how is this any different than some school connection or a frat buddy, for instance.