How to break into financial analyst industry

Hi everyone, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Background: Bachelors in Mathematics and Economics in May 2018, CFA Level III in 2020. No prior internship or work experience as financial analyst or in finance at all.

Current position: entry-level data analyst for a small software firm.

I have been job hunting for a while and so far I have only had one interview for a financial analyst role(no offer at the end). I didn’t hear back from any other positions I applied whatsoever. I now realize I was too naive to think that passing CFA Level 2 would easily help me land a entry-level financial analyst job, because it is still extremely difficult given that I have no internship or any other work experience in this field. Also I am in the Bay area so it’s more competitive here. I just want to know besides building network, what other possible ways are there to improve my resume for financial analysis and hopefully break into this industry at the end. Are there any projects that I can do on my own time to boost my financial portfolio? Like for CS there are all kinds of projects and competitions like Heckathon and alike. What about for financial analyst? Thank you in advance for advices you will be giving, and all the best to everyone here!

Everywhere is competitive, not only in Bay area. By financial analyst role, you mean doing budgeting, forecasting, and monthly reports? If yes, don’t go there, because mostly those roles won’t give you required experience to complete CFA program.

Wait how so? Aren’t financial analyst positions meant to fulfill CFA work experience requirement? I know a Youtuber who passed Level 3 back in 2017 and received her charter last year after almost 5 years of working as a role like that in a real estate company.

I’m going to have to disagree with you on this one. That would certainly count towards the required work experience. Especially if you fill in the description well. Pretty much anything will fit if you take the time to write a good description.

Wait, so I worked as fin.analyst for one year, but didn’t do anything concerning investments. If I write a good description, and ask my employer to verify it, it can still count? Or CFAI will check it thoroughfully?

[/quote]

Wait, so I worked as fin.analyst for one year, but didn’t do anything concerning investments. If I write a good description, and ask my employer to verify it, it can still count? Or CFAI will check it thoroughfully?

[/quote]

i believe CFAI will check it thoroughly but it can still count

Your work might not directly involve making investments, but it certainly impacts your firm’s investment making process. Therefore, I think it counts. Again your description matters a lot.

You just have to sell it. CFA doesn’t care.