How to calm down before an exam

I dont know if you can benefit from this, but it seemed quite fun to me. As many others I sat L1 exam on December 07. I decided to go sleep earlier a day before, so that I could rest well. Of course I was a bit nervous and even excited - that’s why I couldnt fall asleep maybe until 4 AM. I had to wake up at 6:30 and I already accepted the fact that I will go to exam after a sleepless night. Somehow I managed to fall asleep finally and had a dream. In this dream I slept much more than it was needed, didnt hear alarm clock and woke up after exam was in its second half. It was so natural that I felt real disappointment - you know, maybe in dream, but it was so real - I was totally upset! Suddently I woke up in my dark room. I took an alarm clock and saw that it’s 6 AM and I even can sleep for 30 minutes more. And I suddently had a bright idea - nothing is lost before it is actually lost! And it’s not so bad - at least I have a chance to use all my knowledge and do my best. Even two road policemen who stopped me for an alcohol test while I was driving to exam hall didn’t spoil my mood :slight_smile: Prepare well, those who sit it in June. And good luck to those who wait for results. :slight_smile:

Wow… The excuses start even before the exam results are back.

Why? No excuses! Excuses are for losers! If I failed, I am just dumb :slight_smile:

I couldn’t sleep the night before either. I tried everything. I’m honestly not sure it would have impacted my performance because I was on an adrenaline rush for the longest time. Still, I don’t think I will ever be as nervous as I was before Level 1 again — even if somehow I fail and I have to do it all over again.

I think we need tips on how to calm down after the exam. I am on tenterhooks waiting for Jan 23rd :slight_smile:

sv102307 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think we need tips on how to calm down after the > exam. I am on tenterhooks waiting for Jan 23rd :slight_smile: Steps to calm down after exam: 1. Booze 2. TV, preferably sports 3. More booze

I totally empathize with the “can’t sleep the night” before situation. Here is what I do: 1. Get to bed early the entire week before (or just make it a routine) 2. Drink warm milk, soak your feet, meditate and breath deeply once you get to bed. And voila, I’m relaxed and asleep in no time.

i know, i totally empathise too. even taking ethics to bed with me the night before didn’t work.

1. Exercise 2) Pasta and carbs for dinner before exam 3) Stop studying early and go see a movie the day before exam 4) Take up meditation. None of which I did for Dec. 07 exam.

To be honest, I agree with what’s his face about adrenaline. I wasn’t even phased about the lack of sleep the night before because I knew I’d be pumped on exam day. Man I bolted out of bed, grabbed a coffee, and was going 110% all day. I remember being surprised towards the end of the second exam at how fresh I was still feeling. Could have been because I did so well, by the way, did anyone else get all “C”'s for the afternoon session? Just kidding about the doing well and all C’s part, but seriously, I’ve never felt so good as when I put down my pencil at the end of taking the CFA, it was just good to be done, pass or fail. And by the way, after all the complaints I heard about other test centers, I would highly recommend Philadelphia to anyone, it was very nice, and they had storage for backpacks and personal belongings so people were able to bring study materials, etc for before and during the break. Just a great experience all around. And I have to say at the end of the day after having had chances to talk to some of the people who were in my section, I felt really honored just to have been among the ranks of so many intelligent professionals. I dunno, I just feel like the CFA has been a really great experience for me so far.

The night before I am usually on edge. My routine is to sit back and watch a good movie, usually a comedy to loosen me up. Then I hit the sheets at normal time. I think a lot of ppl deviate off of their natural sleep cycles by trying to get to bed early. You won’t fall asleep early and you will only get more nervous as time passes awale. Also the battle is won or lost before you take the test. If you have adequately prepared then don’t worry. Relax and don’t even think about the exam. Nothing left to be done at that point.

I am a person who has trouble functioning on little sleep, so I forced myself to be in bed by 10 and slept relatively well until the alarm went off. But I too had a dream that I slept through the exam. Stressful for the first 10 seconds of being awake. I even had time to stop and get a bite to eat before catching the Subway.

I closed the books Thursday afternoon at 5pm after bashing my head all week doing questions. I got a great nights sleep Thursday night and went Christmas shopping all day Friday. I had so much fun shopping for my little girl. I think it helped me relax on test day. I know one thing, if I have to retake the exam, it will never be in the fall again. Too hard when football is on. Bigdaddy

I reckon I’ll tire myself by walking for a couple of hours before the next exam! hardly slept at all before dec exam, but i kinda knew i hadn’t done the necessary prep. next take … totally focus on light exercise night before exam (proper prep beforehand can’t hurt either - that’s another topic though!)

I slept like a baby the night before the exam. remember life does not start nor end with level 1

Try this “Honey, you’ve been really supportive to me in studying for this exam tomorrow. I wouldn’t have made it this far without you. You make me so much better than I would be without you. Oh, boy … I am really stressed out for tomorrow. I just wish I could get my mind off this stupid exam so I can sleep. I’m sure I could do better on the exam if I could get a good night’s rest”…

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Try this “Honey, you’ve been really supportive to > me in studying for this exam tomorrow. I wouldn’t > have made it this far without you. You make me so > much better than I would be without you. Oh, boy > … I am really stressed out for tomorrow. I just > wish I could get my mind off this stupid exam so I > can sleep. I’m sure I could do better on the exam > if I could get a good night’s rest”… Didn’t work. I tried. Of course, mine is preganant and was in the 3rd trimester.

Sometimes you have to take things into your own hands…