How to get Leadership experience?

Let’s start a discussion on what people have gotten involved of outside of work that has given them gratifying leadership experience. It seems like there are many avenues to take, charities, non-profits, etc… But thought I would poll people to see what people are involved with and how they got into that position of leadership. Thanks…

Just on a side note, you have to be careful with the charity/non-profit where you get your experience. Overly political experience will cause some problems when it is on your resume, from personal experience.

Hey the military is good. Join the Air National Guard as an Intelligence Officer. Good for Analytical skill, good leadership stuff - almost zero chance of actually having to do anything. Oh yeah it pays.

aussie_jaco Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey the military is good. Join the Air National > Guard as an Intelligence Officer. Good for > Analytical skill, good leadership stuff - almost > zero chance of actually having to do anything. Oh > yeah it pays. Is this US ANG? Are you a CPT or LT - how long have you been in?

Have my own company…

projectplatnyc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > aussie_jaco Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Hey the military is good. Join the Air > National > > Guard as an Intelligence Officer. Good for > > Analytical skill, good leadership stuff - > almost > > zero chance of actually having to do anything. > Oh > > yeah it pays. > > > Is this US ANG? Are you a CPT or LT - how long > have you been in? I am in the Australian military, nearly 14 years in - throwing out the idea of the US ANG as probably the most in tune with a career in the financial services sector.

Thanks for the advice… CFAChief - Can you expand on this? I think I get what your saying to not get into left wing/ right wing extremist groups…? Aussie - “Join the Air National Guard as an Intelligence Officer” - sounds a little above my time commitment, already work/study 80hours a week, would hopefully look for something on the weekends Kevinf12 - thought about this one as well. Seems to show a lot of drive. How many people do you lead in your company? Thanks!

Well, it is basically a sales function so it depends on the market. I have a rep in NJ, one on the west coast and one in FL. But I think the “leadership” aspect is with sales plan, the message, etc. I have scaled back a lot of my involvement and let the person in NJ do more since I have been doing another outside interest more. Double edge sword though. Since I had this going on at the same time I was working, when I interviewed with other companies I had to change the dates because often if you are looking for a job, they see it as a competing interest of your time. However, I think for other things like B school, etc they will see it as a benefit because of time management, ability to work hard, drive, etc.

You play sports? How about coaching a basketball or baseball league?

fxguy1234 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks for the advice… > > CFAChief - Can you expand on this? I think I get > what your saying to not get into left wing/ right > wing extremist groups…? Well, we did not hire a guy because he was in an anti-abortion group. Nothing against that group, just did not want the drama.

Nike Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You play sports? How about coaching a basketball > or baseball league? If this sort of thing appeals but time commitments are making you think twice. You could consider Big Brothers / Big Sisters, they love people to come in and be role models for the kids. Not sure about in the US but in Australia / Canada they have a program where three or so guys turn up once or twice a week to play sport and generally help the kids out. Much more palatable then an anti-abortion group and there are some leadership benefits as well.

Aussie, CFA, Nike - All great advice and I thank you… I think I might look into Big Brothers.

Lead volunteer projects. Go talk to your local United Way to see how you can get involved.

How about starting an investment club? :slight_smile:

sit on an advisory board of a nonprofit.

Treasurer + executive board of my school’s young alumni association Co-captain of a tennis team

contact the school where you did undergrad and see how you can help. There is typically ops where you can interview/mentor sr high school students who are applying to your alam mater. this is more “volunteer” than leadership, but oh well

Military is good for leadership experience, at least in most developed countries. All branches have it, but in the US, the Army prides itself on its emphasis on leadership training. It makes sense: if you are trained to get men to run into potentially life-threatening situations, you need to know a lot about motivation, morale, discipline, vision, etc. Of course, you may end up in Iraq.

Thanks everyone… bchadwick - I have a full time job/CFA studying so I’m not sure how joining the military would fit with my schedule… Am I missing something?

The reserves… 2 weeks a year, 2 days a month. If you get called to active duty, it’s illegal for your employer to fire you. Of course, your employer might be bankrupt when you get back. And of course, you might end up in Iraq. (look, this is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, because the Military is a big commitment. However, I am serious about how military officers do study leadership in a way that is very serious and which others could benefit from)