How to hedge dollar depreciation?

By putting money to gold?

Yeah - gold, or can invest in foreign stocks / bonds.

Sell Dollar future…

Gold or any other tangible asset you expect to rise in value in the future.

I wouldn’t expect the dollar to depreciate though. The rest of the world is collapsing faster than us.

^^ depreciate against what is the question.its definitely depreciating against gold.

I think its just a matter of time before we see a fall of dollar … everybody is selling thats why dollar is rising as demand for dollar is going up … and I also think false hopes are also attached to US at this time … let the ppl be frustrated … dollar will fall just like dow … my opinion …

Dsylexic Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^^ depreciate against what is the question.its > definitely depreciating against gold. Gold is a panic move that has no wings. If you want to play the Vol, great, but as a long-term hedge, it’s worthless at these prices.

Invest in Rydex 2X Weakening dollar mutual fund. Will provide you 2x the inverse performance of the US dollar Index on a daily basis.

spierce Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dsylexic Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > ^^ depreciate against what is the question.its > > definitely depreciating against gold. > but as a long-term > hedge, it’s worthless at these prices. huh. based on what, sir?. it was the Trade of the Decade. Buy gold in 2000 and sell equities in the US. it has worked pretty well so far.its far from dead and buried.

Dsylexic Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > spierce Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Dsylexic Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > ^^ depreciate against what is the > question.its > > > definitely depreciating against gold. > > > but as a long-term > > hedge, it’s worthless at these prices. > > > huh. based on what, sir?. it was the Trade of the > Decade. Buy gold in 2000 and sell equities in the > US. it has worked pretty well so far.its far from > dead and buried. eToys.com was the trade of 2 years, 10 years ago. I don’t give a flying flock through a rolling donut what its investment was since 2000, all that matters is going forward. Gold is down 36 right now, oil is crashing. Commodities are very bearish. We’ll see gold at well under 700 before we see it at 1000 again. All I have to say about oil is…I told you so.

I wouldn’t touch gold with a 10 ft pole. Deflation is here…

you didnt give an answer,why is gold a bad investment going forward. 700 gold? we will see 700 S&P before that.

mark@dirtbags Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I wouldn’t touch gold with a 10 ft pole. > > Deflation is here… sure, it is disinflating right now, but bernanke has promised helicopter drops if deflation is a danger. he is a deflation slayer,isnt he.this deflation has gotta be followed by the mother of all inflations

Buy other currencies if you thik dollar will tank relative to them. Buy gold if you think there is going to be global inflation. You can buy commodities too, but if things are really sh!tty, it’s nicer to look at a stack of pretty coins than a pile of pork bellies or barrels I oil. Dollar is going up right now, but as soon as the dust settles and people figure out what to do with their cash, the outflow will likely be substantial.

Dsylexic Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > you didnt give an answer,why is gold a bad > investment going forward. 700 gold? we will see > 700 S&P before that. It’s been played out already. If we haven’t hit the 52-week high in this sh!t-storm, we ain’t going to hit it. At this point, with the dollar rallying against all major currencies, deflation hitting because of deleveraging, commodities crashing causing further deflation, and equities becoming very cheap with distressed debt becoming more attractive, I think you’ll see gold start to ease up in the next year. I don’t think you’re going to see 700 S&P before 700 gold. I’d be willing to put a friendly wager on it.

Dsylexic Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mark@dirtbags Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I wouldn’t touch gold with a 10 ft pole. > > > > Deflation is here… > > > sure, it is disinflating right now, but bernanke > has promised helicopter drops if deflation is a > danger. he is a deflation slayer,isnt he.this > deflation has gotta be followed by the mother of > all inflations I don’t think the government can print enough to stop this thing…

equities are cheap ,yes. so ,are commodties. everthing is getting liquidated righnow .but,coming out of this slump, fundamentals of equities arent as bright as that of commodities -simply because demand and supply will remain out of whack for most commodities .a scramble for resources is more likely than a scramble for coca cola or ibm shares.

Dsylexic Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > equities are cheap ,yes. so ,are commodties. > everthing is getting liquidated righnow > > .but,coming out of this slump, fundamentals of > equities arent as bright as that of commodities > -simply because demand and supply will remain out > of whack for most commodities .a scramble for > resources is more likely than a scramble for coca > cola or ibm shares. Because gold is such a valuable resource for manufacturing…

i’ll ignore the sarcasm.but if you really dont see inflation looming in the horizon after the deflation , i’ll leave you to your views. go on,buy some distressed debt.infact go ahead and buy 30 yr US bonds.