How to improve ethics?

So i took this CFAI sample test yesterday and had a very disappointing result. I only scored 61%. The worst part was Ethics, in which i only scored about 22% (yes that is right). I have done more that 1500 Qbank questions till now but never have scored so low. I am getting a little nervous now. Can someone suggest any tips and ways to improve Ethics performance? By the way, I did pretty good in FSA(75%) and Economics(100%), which I thought were my least prepared sections.

OK listen man. The biggest problem with most people (especially in the US) is that they make the Qbank out to be the key to passing. I am a tutor, and I make my own questions (see the beatthecfa thread) but I make it a point NOT to make questions on Ethics because I am not an authority on it. You’ll find questions where Schweser and Stalla will say one thing, and you might think that what theyre saying is totally in conflict with the curriculum. That being said, theres no way I can make you feel better about a 22% on Ethics. Random guessing would get you 33% (ok Im really pulling youe leg now) I suggest you give Ethics a proper thorough read from the curriculum and solve the curriculum questions ONLY (even if you have already attempted them). Then forget the Qbank Ethics questions and purchase the CFA mock/sample exams (they are a little steep) but you need to boost your comfort level with Ethics before the exam. Attempt PROPER exam style questions and then see your progress. I hate to be the harbinger of bad news, but I only know one person who failed ethics and passed the exam. He had more than 70% in 8 of the other 9 sections… Work on it bro… you need to sort ethics out Keep me updated pal, Im here to help

beatthecfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > OK listen man. The biggest problem with most > people (especially in the US) is that they make > the Qbank out to be the key to passing. I am a > tutor, and I make my own questions (see the > beatthecfa thread) but I make it a point NOT to > make questions on Ethics because I am not an > authority on it. You’ll find questions where > Schweser and Stalla will say one thing, and you > might think that what theyre saying is totally in > conflict with the curriculum. > > That being said, theres no way I can make you feel > better about a 22% on Ethics. Random guessing > would get you 33% (ok Im really pulling youe leg > now) > > I suggest you give Ethics a proper thorough read > from the curriculum and solve the curriculum > questions ONLY (even if you have already attempted > them). Then forget the Qbank Ethics questions and > purchase the CFA mock/sample exams (they are a > little steep) but you need to boost your comfort > level with Ethics before the exam. Attempt PROPER > exam style questions and then see your progress. > > I hate to be the harbinger of bad news, but I only > know one person who failed ethics and passed the > exam. He had more than 70% in 8 of the other 9 > sections… > > Work on it bro… you need to sort ethics out > > Keep me updated pal, Im here to help Dude, thanks for your help. Yesterday was a big reality check for me. But it was good to get a slap ahead of time so that I can get it right. I will work as you suggested and keep you posted.

Its the opposite for me… I do well in ethics and not well in FSA/Asset Val. *goes and knocks on wood*

I passed Level I this past June (first attempt) and I’m currently preparing for L2. I used schweser qbank, notes, and attended the 3-day seminar in Chicago. Schweser was very valuable to me for all other topics EXCEPT ethics. beatthecfa’s comment couldn’t be any more precise, and valuable. If anyone is using ANYTHING other than the CFA curriculum for ethics then you are wasting your time, and worse, maybe even doing some harm. Plain and simple. Taken from an ROI perspective, nothing will be more valuable than reading the *tedious* ethics and GIPS (do NOT underestimate GIPS!) straight from the curriculum. The standards and code of ethics are tested again for L2 and again for L3. In fact, the L2 curriculum starts with the standards & code exactly as it appears in L1. This is not the section for shortcuts. This is a long term investment. Answer the EOC questions on your own, then review them in detail to see what nuances you may have missed. Review every option and you should know why the correct choice is, in fact, correct and also why the other choices are wrong. Then go over the process again. And then do it again. The last two weeks before my L1 exam, ethics and GIPS became part of my daily life in some way. I printed the SOPH and took each sub-standard on its own to make sure I understood it clearly. I reviewed a few questions each day. Just a bit each day helps. Best of luck to all of you. It is an amazing feeling to see that PASS on the screen. This time is crucial for you. See you on the L2 forum…

Excellent post bro!