How to moderate your response to caffeine?

Hi all – I have another caffeine-related question for you guys. After a late night in the office last night, I needed to do something to get me going today. I’ve had a few shots of espresso throughout the day, and after my last one about an hour ago, I feel like I’m turbo-charged right now. Because of my caffeine intake today, I’m totally ready to wail out and go nuts, but I have a tennis match later this evening so I need to have some control and mental/physical discipline as well. I’m hoping my caffeine buzz can go down a little, while still maintaining a good level of energy so that I don’t wear out and crash. Any suggestions? Would it help to load up on proteins, salty foods, or other stuff like that? I’m concerned about getting too much of a sugar rush, being dehydrated, etc. Thanks guys. With your help, hopefully I can pull out a win tonight. VICTOLY!!!

Caffeine turbo charging is a peaks and valleys game my friend. The only suggestion if you’ll be playing tennis is to stay away from any heavy meals and drink at least two glasses of water for every shot of expresso you’ve had today to remain sufficiently hydrated.

Just charge the net and go wild man.

purealpha Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just charge the net and go wild man. Interesting suggestion. Normally, I’m a defensive counterpuncher but the guy I’m playing with is a bit erratic and his passing shots are pretty average for a guy at our skill level. Might not be a bad strategy. Hopefully I’m able to charge the net without actually charging *through* the net… Any other suggestions as to how I can manage my caffeine response, guys? Help a brother out.

try asking people at bodybuilding.com, not the fiance jockeys! no I dont know man, good luck tonite tho… Tennis sounds fun

it’s like alcohol, you need to maintain the buzz to your desired level. you’ll need to drink coffee or pop up until your match.

knock one out in the shower prematch. it helps i promise.

Pop? Where are you from dspapo? dspapo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > it’s like alcohol, you need to maintain the buzz > to your desired level. you’ll need to drink > coffee or pop up until your match.

Pick up a gram of coke on the way to your match… you’ll be fine. In all seriousness, I think your first step is to stay hydrated, which you are aware of. Before your match eat a light meal with carbs and veggies and you’ll be golden.

Ephedrine is stronger than caffeine. Stop by GNC on the way to your match and pick something up. Falling asleep after the match might be a problem though.

I like energy drinks. I find that after a shot of Redbull, a shot of Jagermeister does the trick to balance me out :wink:

ditchdigger2CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I like energy drinks. > > I find that after a shot of Redbull, a shot of > Jagermeister does the trick to balance me out :wink: JAGERBOMBS! bitches love my new haircut! p.s numi youre looking at a painfull burn out if you dont take some more caffine as you come down to moderate the crash. Caffeine is like any other drug it seems.

AbbeFaria Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Pop? Where are you from dspapo? > > dspapo Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > it’s like alcohol, you need to maintain the > buzz > > to your desired level. you’ll need to drink > > coffee or pop up until your match. chicago born and raised. what do you say, soda? that sounds like the 1950s to me. or do you call everything coke? “i’ll have an orange coke, please”

Hey guys, thanks for the tips. I actually got jammed at work and didn’t have time to have a real meal before the match, but things still worked out fine. I downed a couple bottles of vitamin water and also had some protein bars to get electrolytes and carbohydrates in my system. I was still wired when the match started so control was a bit of an issue at first, but before long I started to chill out and I was serving bombs. It sort of felt like I was at the stage where I had enough caffeine in my system to keep my energized, but I wasn’t utterly hyper or crazy like I had been when I wrote the first post on this thread. Anyway I was able to pull out the match 6-3, 6-2. Afterward, I was hungry as all hell and went to my favorite sushi restaurant, where I proceeded to eat like a beast. Thankfully my date wasn’t very hungry so I ate pretty much all of her food too. It was wonderful. Anyway, I feel like I’m hitting my brick wall now and I’m no longer high as a kite, so going to crash. Hope y’all had a good night. By the way, can you guys please explain why it’s advisable to keep loading up on caffeine? I thought taking more caffeine would only make me even more wired and edgy than I already was. Well, thanks for the tips guys. This was a victory for the AF team.

McLeod81 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ephedrine is stronger than caffeine. Stop by GNC > on the way to your match and pick something up. > Falling asleep after the match might be a problem > though. Ephedrine has been illegal for years now. Meth houses use ephedrine to cook meth.

BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > McLeod81 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Ephedrine is stronger than caffeine. Stop by > GNC > > on the way to your match and pick something up. > > > Falling asleep after the match might be a > problem > > though. > > Ephedrine has been illegal for years now. Meth > houses use ephedrine to cook meth. You can still get it, it’s been discussed, not at GNC though. You can get it in the form of a bronchilator OTC at most pharmacies… Bronkaid is the usual brand. Ephedrine HCL is what you want though… buy it online as Vasopro or get it it from Europe and save some money. Most meth cooks use pseudo anyways as it is easier to come by and not what you are looking for in this application.

Congrats on the match numi!

Let’s hear about the date; caffeine and nutrition in general isn’t all that exciting. I’ll tell you about my day: I had lunch with a lovely lady yesterday, and then met another girl later for coffee. But then I had to study. CFA Insitute: you are killing my game, bro!

Hey brianr, thanks for the well wishes! TheAliMan, sounds like you had a pretty eventful day yesterday. Things were OK for me as well. The date itself was a lot of fun – dinner lasted close to three hours and we actually didn’t realize how quickly time blew by until they were going to close down the place around midnight. Anyway, she suggested going to a wine bar after dinner, but I said we should call it a night since I had to wake up early for work, and am also on a hiatus from alcohol for the next 38 days. I did tell her I’d let her take me out to dessert the next time if she insisted on returning the dinner favor. All in all, not the most “spicy” first date story, but still a good time. What about yours?

The lunch date was with a friend I hadn’t seen in a very long time (we recently reconnected through email). I had a dorky crush on her in high school but unfortunately, she had a long-term boyfriend at the time. She’s a dancer, into yoga (yes, I mentioned P90X), and is tall - which is a big plus in my books. She also ended up getting a double degree in economics and business so the conversations we were fantastic: climate change, finance, living in Europe, etc. She’s single now as well (hurray!) and we agreed that we’d meet again soon. However, my ‘CFAI Institute Level 2 Exam Preparation Conscience’ was sending me distress signals :wink: The coffee date was nice as well. It was actually with a girl I met through a mutual friend who is in the CFA Program. We talked about different MBA programs, starting a business, all that sort of stuff. It was a good conversation, but I had the lunch date girl still on the mind :wink: So in conclusion, nothing spicy whatsoever.