How to network

Hi Guys, I was wondering if you could provide me with some tips on networking effectively with traders? I pretty much have the same story as many on this forum; in IT at a BB planning to switch to finance (trading in particular). I have tried cold “emailing” people at my bank and a handful of them have gotten back to me. Had coffee with some but can’t seem to make it through yet (Its been almost a year now). Am I missing some trick here? How else can I network with traders? Btw, I have completed my Level 1 and consider myself to be an above-average programmer. I am sure my programming skills can help me get on the trading floor but its not working out. I am in Toronto btw. Any tips would be highly appreciated? :smiley: Thanks

Try solving a Rubik’s cube in front of them. I saw that work in a movie once.

The Rubik’s cube trick also worked on the Fresh Prince - it got Will Smith into Princeton.

hah I guess Will Smith just gets everywhere in life with the turn of a Rubiks cube

I used to be able to get 5 out of 6 sides on a Rubiks cube, but could never get the bottom. If I ever meet Will Smith I will inquire as to how to finish it. I suppose I could google it these days…

Bankin’ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I used to be able to get 5 out of 6 sides on a > Rubiks cube, but could never get the bottom. If I > ever meet Will Smith I will inquire as to how to > finish it. I suppose I could google it these > days… =============================== “Bankin’ meets Will Smith…” Screenplay by cjones65 Bankin’: Hey Will Smith, how do you finish a Rubik’s cube? Will Smith: Uncle Phil, you fat! The End

once you complete 5, you can really focus on the 6th. just call the lead trader every day, buy him cuban cigars on his birthday. hey, it worked for bud fox.

Yeah, but he was already a trader… How did he get THAT job?

wasn’t he really a broker? smiling and dialing?

how do you expect your programming skills to help you get on the trading floor?

“how do you expect your programming skills to help you get on the trading floor?” Simple - he can write a rubik’s cube-solving program, then follow previous advice and BLAM - he’s running up prices like nobody’s business!

no one respects programming :frowning: P.S. Except that girl from hackers

cjones65 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Bankin’ Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I used to be able to get 5 out of 6 sides on a > > Rubiks cube, but could never get the bottom. If > I > > ever meet Will Smith I will inquire as to how > to > > finish it. I suppose I could google it these > > days… > =============================== > > “Bankin’ meets Will Smith…” > Screenplay by cjones65 > > > Bankin’: Hey Will Smith, how do you finish a > Rubik’s cube? > > Will Smith: Uncle Phil, you fat! > > The End Werd

Wow, so by solving a rubik’s cube Will Smith was able to get into Princeton on Fresh Prince AND secure an internship at Dean Witter in Pursuit Of Happiness? Rubik’s cube is the way to go

I can make all the colors the same on each side on a rubiks cube in about 5-10 mins…

yeah, but you need a screwdriver

take em to scores, stupid.

Chappu, check out www.dimus.org I saw someone there was looking for people in Detroit a.s.a.p. and you might have the skill they were looking for.