How to practice for the December 2014 Level I Exam

As part of your exam preparation, practice as much as possible but at the very least you should do the questions identified in the topic-wise sections given below.

Economics

Curriculum Examples: You must do the MCQ-style examples in the curriculum. Some of the examples are short but not in MCQ style. I’d recommend that you go through these questions because they cover important testable points. You’ll also find examples which are quite long. Read these if you have time. Those who sign up for the crash course will receive videos covering the most important aspects of these examples.

Curriculum Practice Problems

Practice Problems on the CFA Institute Website

Quantitative Methods

Curriculum Examples: If you’ve not done so already, work through the curriculum examples. However, keep in mind that many of the solutions presented in the curriculum are unnecessarily long-winded. Those who sign up for the IFT crash course will receive videos where we share efficient methods of solving the Quantitative Methods examples in the curriculum.

Curriculum Practice Problems: The practice problems at the end of each curriculum reading are good but unfortunately most questions are not in MCQ format. Definitely do the MCQ format questions. If you have time, do the non-MCQ questions because the concepts being covered are important. To solve the problems use the calculator-based method we describe in our videos and worked examples. Do not get hung-up with the formula-based method used in the curriculum solution.

Ethics

Curriculum Examples: Unlike other topics you’ll not find the example in blue/gray boxes. Instead, for every standard you’ll find a segment called ‘Application of the Standard’. This is where you’ll find the examples. Read them!

Financial Reporting and Analysis

Curriculum Examples: You must do the MCQ-style examples in the curriculum. Some of the examples are short but not in MCQ style. I’d recommend that you go through these questions because they cover important testable points. You’ll also find examples which are quite long. Read these if you have time.

Corporate Finance

Curriculum Examples: You must do the MCQ-style examples in the curriculum. Some of the examples are short but not in MCQ style. I’d recommend that you go through these questions because they cover important testable points. You’ll also find examples which are quite long. Read these if you have time.

Portfolio Management

Equity

Fixed Income Securities

Curriculum Examples: You must do the MCQ-style examples in the curriculum. Some of the examples are short not in MCQ style. I’d recommend that you go through these questions because they cover important testable points.

Curriculum Practice Problem

Derivatives

Curriculum Examples: You must do the MCQ-style examples in the curriculum. Some of the examples are not in MCQ style. I’d recommend that you go through these questions because they cover important testable points.

Curriculum Practice Problem: The practice problems at the end of each reading are good but unfortunately many questions are not in MCQ format. Definitely do the MCQ format questions. I’d suggest you also do the non-MCQ questions because the concepts being covered are important. To solve the problems use the calculator-based method we describe in our videos and worked examples. Do not get hung-up with the formula-based method used in the curriculum solution. If you feel intimidated by the non-MCQ questions in the curriculum you can practice questions from prep providers.

Alternative Investments

Curriculum Examples: You must do the MCQ-style examples in the curriculum. Some of the examples are not in MCQ style. I’d recommend that you go through these questions because they cover important testable points.

Mock Exams

During the final few weeks you should also do several full-length mock exams. A few mock exams are available on www.cfainstitute.org. I’ll share suggestions related to mock exams in a separate post.

Best regards,

Arif Irfanullah, CFA