How to score yourself during the exam

One bit of advice that I will use during the test… Over the past few weeks while taking practice question after practice question, I’ve written down before finding out the answer if I think I knew the answer, or if I wasn’t sure. When I thought I was right, I was correct ~84% of the time (yes, it isn’t close to 100%). When I knew I was guessing, I was correct ~39% of the time. So during the exam, you can count up the ones you write down as ones you were guessing. So the goal to get to the 70% magic number for me is have something around 37 out of 120 guesses. 65% passing is 50 of 120 questions that are guessed.

thats a good system and I will probably use it next year either in level 2 or level 3…

yes I’ll definitely use that next year for level 2

I do that too if I have time. the ones I am sure I make a tick and then count how many ticks I have…if I have time

In the actual exam, put a Question Mark next to any question you guess. Having completed the exam with time left over, review all marked questions and try to recalc them to arrive at a better answer. Wasting time on the actual exam by counting up your “uncertain” answers, for the sake of predicting your future score is pointless (and probably inaccurate).

I have a similar system, except I do the following: 90% for answers I feel certain of (there’s always a couple of those you still get wrong) 75% if I narrow it down to two and feel reasonably sure I’m picking the right one 50% if I could narrow it to 50/50 but unsure 33% if I could eliminate one answer 25% if I flat out guess I just mark the % next to the question number and then total at the end, and I always lean towards conservative when gauging my “sureness”. Worked all through college and hasn’t failed me yet. I knew immediately after LI I had passed because my “minimum score” (as I call it because I don’t give myself any benefit unless I can eliminate or pick an answer with certainty) was a 68%. It takes you all of two seconds to write a % next to the number and its not really wasting time… actually I think sometimes forcing myself to at least eliminate some answers is quite helpful and I can always go back to the 25-50 scores. This time around, I except I will get a much more borderline answer… can’t be sure of much on this one!

Aimee Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have a similar system, except I do the > following: > > 90% for answers I feel certain of (there’s always > a couple of those you still get wrong) > 75% if I narrow it down to two and feel reasonably > sure I’m picking the right one > 50% if I could narrow it to 50/50 but unsure > 33% if I could eliminate one answer > 25% if I flat out guess > > I just mark the % next to the question number and > then total at the end, and I always lean towards > conservative when gauging my “sureness”. Worked > all through college and hasn’t failed me yet. I > knew immediately after LI I had passed because my > “minimum score” (as I call it because I don’t give > myself any benefit unless I can eliminate or pick > an answer with certainty) was a 68%. It takes you > all of two seconds to write a % next to the number > and its not really wasting time… actually I > think sometimes forcing myself to at least > eliminate some answers is quite helpful and I can > always go back to the 25-50 scores. > > This time around, I except I will get a much more > borderline answer… can’t be sure of much on > this one! Oh my god.

Last year I ‘felt good’ but didn’t attach a score to it. I got drunk and two months later CFAI confirmed my feeling with a pass.

I put a # mark on those that i was guessing in L1. Counted it and then at home, multiplied them by 33%. The others by 80%. It left me with 66% and i was in no position to predict my pass/fail.