How to spot a banker

“For those of you who only read WWD for the news, you might not know that Thursday’s the start of the G20 Summit in London, a yearly meeting between the world’s largest national economies to discuss an agenda that usually includes IMF reform and strategies to revive the global economy. Naturally, this attracts protesters of all kinds, which naturally makes the world’s bankers both in attendance and in the general vicinity a little nervous since most people blame them for the current global credit problems. In anticipation, the British police have advised bankers to dress down so they’re not as easily recognized. But here’s what’s funny: They’ve also been told to avoid “chinos and loafers” since those too readily bellow “banker trying to dress like a normal person” - kind of like when you see an Olsen trying to blend in on Bleecker behind her neon Oliver Peoples and venti latte that’s bigger than her forearm, or when a kid plays hide-and-seek in the middle of the room. So we’re wondering - Can you spot an off-duty banker? What gives them away? The untucked Thomas Pink shirt over dry-cleaned jeans and never-before-used Nikes? The super gelled Ross Geller hair, like they’ve been swimming against the tide all morning?” I found this slightly humorous, especially given the debates on this forum over Thomas Pink shirts I have read before…

I heard on NPR this morning that people were taunting the protesters by waving money around. Too funny.

fxguy1234 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I heard on NPR this morning that people were > taunting the protesters by waving money around. > Too funny. Those guys are my heroes… most of the people protesting probably don’t even know what they’re protesting. They just think everything relating to banking is evil. Creased jeans and tennis shoes are a pretty big give away

The protesters from Greenpeace didn’t do so well… http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article515384.ece

I’d challenge these protestors to prove that >15% of them have some concept of what it is they’re protesting against. It may be cool for these hippies to congregate en masse and make the entire City financial district smell like patchouli and Phish CD’s, but their “message” is falling on deaf ears. Not to mention they’re destroying the property of people who almost certainly have had no hand in the current crisis (if they want to go for the jugular, how about the Big 3 for making shyte cars these past 3 decades under a failed business model?). And on top of this, they cover their faces. Cowards.

Come on, how can’t you be against “bad people,” “bad things,” “general badness.” You’d have to be really bad yourself not to be against bad things.

Some quotes I found interesting: Earlier, protesters marched behind models of the “four horsemen of the apocalypse” representing financial crimes, war, climate change and homelessness. Some threw eggs at police and chanted “build a bonfire, put the bankers on the top.”

L3 Buckaroo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’d challenge these protestors to prove that >15% > of them have some concept of what it is they’re > protesting against. It may be cool for these > hippies to congregate en masse and make the entire > City financial district smell like patchouli and > Phish CD’s, but their “message” is falling on deaf > ears. Obviously you were not present during the protest at Bear Stearns last year. It ain’t the hippies that show up, it is the straight up low income I’m-entitled-to-your-money-because-I’m-poor trash that shows up at these things.

there’s a reason why those rioters are generally broke, do-nothings. they don’t even realize they should be eating those eggs. and they have a bonfire as well: who would eat a banker over an egg? satan? conclusion: rioters are satan.

MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > there’s a reason why those rioters are generally > broke, do-nothings. they don’t even realize they > should be eating those eggs. and they have a > bonfire as well: who would eat a banker over an > egg? satan? > > conclusion: rioters are satan. hahahha

I think it’s ironic how they attacked the RBS building. RBS is now owned be the government so they were only costing themselves more money as tax payers. Would have made more sense to attack an instituion not funded by tax payer dollars.

this is my fave quote: “I am here on behalf of the poor, those who are not going to now get their pension or who have lost their houses while these fat cats keep their bonuses, hide their money in tax havens and go and live where nobody can touch them.” I love how they are oblivious to the fact that their pension should not have existed, most people getting bonuses earned them before the crisis and no, people who use tax havens are going to get killed. I love the sense of entitlement. “hey, i’ve worked my whole life and contributed nothing towards the productivity of the nation, yet i expect to be compensated hand-over-fist through gov. benefits, govt and company pensions, public infrastructure, etc etc”. the people should be pissed off at the human race itself and the fact that any capitalist society creates jobs just for the sake of employing people, not for marginal benefit. but without it, we’d have a food crisis on our hands. i’d imagine that without mass production, we wouldn’t be able to feed the bottom 20% of the population.

JohnThainsLimoDriver Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > L3 Buckaroo Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I’d challenge these protestors to prove that > >15% > > of them have some concept of what it is they’re > > protesting against. It may be cool for these > > hippies to congregate en masse and make the > entire > > City financial district smell like patchouli > and > > Phish CD’s, but their “message” is falling on > deaf > > ears. > > Obviously you were not present during the protest > at Bear Stearns last year. It ain’t the hippies > that show up, it is the straight up low income > I’m-entitled-to-your-money-because-I’m-poor trash > that shows up at these things. Fair enough. When the G8 met in Calgary in 2004 (‘05?), it was 80% hippies (well not really, since they spend time growing their dreadlocks and listening to Floyd in the basements of their parents’ $500k suburban houses). “What do we want?” “Moderate change!!” “When do we want it?” “In due course!!”

I must admit L3, you have been on fire lately

Thanks - though that “chant” is directly from the Simpsons, I can’t take credit for it.

Mr. Pink Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think it’s ironic how they attacked the RBS > building. RBS is now owned be the government so > they were only costing themselves more money as > tax payers. Would have made more sense to attack > an instituion not funded by tax payer dollars. C’mon Mr. Pink. None of these idiots have jobs; how can they be taxpayers?

tobias Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The protesters from Greenpeace didn’t do so > well… > > http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article51 > 5384.ece I just about laughed my ass off at this one, just the thought of this green peace guys sitting in a room planning this big hit for days or weeks. They arrive with military precision and promptly get there a$$eS kicked by some militant oil traders. I really loved the bit where they tried to crush them with filing cabinets

tobias Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The protesters from Greenpeace didn’t do so > well… > > http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article51 > 5384.ece haha, I got a good chuckle out of this.