How to stay focused

I think I am stressed out a bit in the last couple of days since we are only three weeks away from the exam. Today I spent the whole day in front of my desk trying to study. But I think I had only 3 hours of study done, and spent the rest of time surfing the internet or just not being productive. Anyone else has the same problem? How do you guys stayd focused when you are stressed out or just bored?

Leave the house. Go to a library or coffee shop. More of a hassle but you’ll get more done.

Yeah, whenever I feel like I just can’t concentrate I go to the office, bring some food with me, and tell myself that I don’t get to go home until x gets done. Works for me!

Yeah. I really can’t study at home or in front of a computer. Too many distractions. I tend to study at coffee shops, bookstores, or a library. My biggest problem on weekend study sessions is hunger. First thing when I wake up I feel an urge to get out the door and studying, but within a couple of hours I’m starving. And I know, once I go eat somewhere else, it’s really tough to get back in the zone. Just keep crankin. We’ve got this!

Other solution is, if you have kids (like me) and running away’s not an option then find part of your house/apt where you can have total privacy for several hours. Also don’t beat yourself up for surfing the web for a few hours, when we’re spending most of our time away from work on this cr*pola… it’s natural. Let yourself have some downtime.

When I get lazy I picture a “FAIL” in August. That generally wakes my ass right up. Already banged out three hours this morning…taking a break to workout for a few hours, then I’m meeting up with a study partner for another 5-6 hours. No rest for the weary.

http://sites.google.com/a/aimrcfa.com/www/compsurvey That keeps me focused.

skillionaire Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > When I get lazy I picture a “FAIL” in August. > > That generally wakes my ass right up. > > Already banged out three hours this > morning…taking a break to workout for a > few hours, then I’m meeting up with a study > partner for another 5-6 hours. > > No rest for the weary. That’s what I do, failure is not an option. Between last night and this morning I did a CFAI practice exam and the Boston CFAI exam. And then spent some time reviewing. I think you should outline your plan of attack. I did that about two weeks ago and am following what I have on paper. But I would follow skillionaire’s advice. Just write a big FAIL on your desk to remind you.

I think of having the CFA after my name and finally beating this thing. I like the idea of outlining a plan, plan the work then work the plan!

Thanks, guys. Very helpful advices. I went to the library today, and it does help to keep me focused. I probably will do the same for the next two weekends!

skillionaire Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > When I get lazy I picture a “FAIL” in August. > > That generally wakes my ass right up. +1. This motivates me as well.