How to tackle the vignette?

How do best approach the vignette so that you minimize the time re-reading it without missing details? My strategy: I skim thru the vignette and go to the sub-question directly. After reading the sub-question, I come back to the vignette and read ONLY the relevant section. Solve and proceed to the next sub-question. My fear: What if I miss some relevant info near the end of the vignette. What’s your strategy?

How do best approach the vignette so that you maximize the time re-reading it while missing details? My strategy: I skim thru the vignette and go to the submarine indirectly. After reading the submarine, I come back to the vignette and read ONLY the irrelevant sections. Solve and proceed to the next submarine. My fear: What if I can’t find a microwave during the lunch break What’s your strategy?

Wow Bryan, your strategy sounds great! DumbA$$.

How to tackle the vignette? I say beat it with a stick. If it moves… whack it again! Once it stops movin’ you should have plenty of time to read the question thoroughly. …or you can take the more passive approach and open up the texts and work the EOC questions and figure out what approach works best for you.

always tackle around the legs. Around the ankles will bring a big man down.

Read the questions then read ALL the information. If u skim past the top u could miss important details. For instance the first line could say, John Doe CFA, which would mean he is subject to all the CFA rules and standards. Or if it just says John Doe then he is not subject and you could be potentially answering all the questions under the wrong assumption(s).

Read all the questions first to help you cull relevant information from the vignette more quickly. While it’s true that information towards the beginning of the vignette typically corresponds to the first few questions, you do always have to read the entire vignette to search for hidden details. This is particularly true of the financial statement normalization vignette. CFAI uses this trickery at L3 too. Pay very close attention to units of denomination, currency and real vs. nominal for reported items vs. the units/currency/inflation you’re trying to solve for. Take practice exams early so that you learn to pace yourself through vignettes. This isn’t a sprint like LI. Questions are supposed to take longer and they oftentimes do. Good luck.

Or the very first line could say, “a French company”, which means IFRS, as opposed to US GAAP, would probably apply to the firm. Not reading the whole question is definitely not a good idea.

For me, I went back and forth and felt better about reading the whole thing first to get a good understanding of it, and then going to the questions, and coming back for specifics if/when necessary. When I start with my mocks we’ll see if that leaves me enough time (which I think it will, but will adapt if it’s not).