how would you answer this question?

got it from another forum You are on a wilderness retreat with your team. It’s getting dark, you are returning to the big camp with your team and looks like you are lost. For a split of second you spot the campfires among the trees, but however hard you try to see it again, you cannot. Yet, you are absolutely positive about the general direction of the camp. However another team member who boasts vast experience of surviving in the wild, insist that the camp is in the opposite direction. The rest of the team have no opinion. What do you do?

Find the weakest member of the group and prepare to eat him/her in case we start to starve.

I remember eavesdropping on two ROTC kids at college one time. They were talking about some concept like “…The Delta Complex”. I think I’m off on the name, but it was Delta-something. The complex posited that if you were a sniper (these are ROTC kids) and you had a clear shot at Osama Bin Laden, but you only saw him for a brief second yet you were so convinced it was he, you are better off not taking the shot. The understanding was we look at people of different ethnicities as all looking the same, or in a more general context, what we think we see is probably not what is actually there. If you believe this “Delta Complex” then you would be advised to allow the other guy to make the decision. I tried to find a link to the exact term but I can’t find one. I know this is not an answer to the interview question, but it is the answer if you actually were in the wild.

I would set out on my own in the direction I saw the fire and let Rambo and the rest of the team know that “I’ll be back” with torches/flashlights so the rest can get back safely.

You are totally mixing movies

Stab him in the back and pull his eyes out. Claim leadership. Head towards the fire.

Almost fell out of my chair, CFAhooker. *co-workers looking at me funny now*

mto1985 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I remember eavesdropping on two ROTC kids at > college one time. They were talking about some > concept like “…The Delta Complex”. I think I’m > off on the name, but it was Delta-something. > > The complex posited that if you were a sniper > (these are ROTC kids) and you had a clear shot at > Osama Bin Laden, but you only saw him for a brief > second yet you were so convinced it was he, you > are better off not taking the shot. The > understanding was we look at people of different > ethnicities as all looking the same, or in a more > general context, what we think we see is probably > not what is actually there. > > If you believe this “Delta Complex” then you would > be advised to allow the other guy to make the > decision. I tried to find a link to the exact term > but I can’t find one. > > I know this is not an answer to the interview > question, but it is the answer if you actually > were in the wild. You can use this ‘Delta Complex’ to answer the question. Thank you.

Depends on how many members and how far you think the campsite is. You start walking toward what you think is the campsite with 1/2 of the remaining team members following you at equal intervals (50+ feet or so). The other guy starts walking in the opposite direction with the other remaining members following him at equal intervals as well. If you have enough team members and the campsite is not miles away then either you or the other guy should find the campsite. At that point you have the remaining team members in between you and the other guy so the message can be relayed to the other side. Or follow CFAhooker’s advice. The remaining team members would likely do whatever you say.

Everyone’s response seems to suggest the answer lies between Lord of the Flies and the Donner Party

my advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > my advice to you is to start drinking heavily. Nice.

XSellSide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Almost fell out of my chair, CFAhooker. > *co-workers looking at me funny now* Ditto!

Analyze, Discuss and vote

you can always go for the “management” decision which will also show a side of leadership: you send two guys to scout for you, once they get back with the info you can make up your mind PS: if they don’t come back send two more in another direction P PS: Mumi’s suggestion can be applied before the scouts come back: binge drinking

I like the idea of exploring both options with minimum efforts (send a few scouts)

Look, Do you know if this other guy has th experience that he claims? No. It it likely that he is just trying to impress a babe and if he’s wrong he’ll say you were wrong too? Yes If you don’t have the courage to follow your beliefs when you are “absolutely positive” in the absence of objective verifiable information to the contrary then get a job flipping burgers where you don’t need to make decisions. The answer is grab the hottest babe in the group, promise you’ll get her home safely and go in the direction that you know is right.

With a hot babe, the right direction is to the nearest hut

Leave a trail of breadcrumbs and head for the nearest gingerbread house.

Switch on my GPS and Google Maps. Works like a charm.