Hows the job market in NYC? Are any of you guys looking?

I’m curious.

i hope you’re joking

i think everyone in town is looking. even people with jobs fear they’ll be unemployed shortly. job postings online can’t even be trusted. i know people who have interviewed for jobs and after weeks of discussion/multiple interviews are told hiring has been delayed or cancelled. wish i could join the peace corps for a year and come back

I’m serious.

The job market in NYC is bad down to waiter jobs.

It’s about as bad as it has ever been. There is nothing out there.

it’s horrible. even guys who have 8-10 years experience are fishing desperately.

CFAs, Ivy League MBAs do not have jobs…People are taking odd jobs just to pay their bills… Not many companies are hiring overall and in Finance there is hiring freeze going on everywhere even in the Buy side… Posting this kind of question in this mkt scenario pisses people off…

Not too many opportunities. Not to say there are none, but not too many.

(I am not looking) - I was thinking of switching, but don’t waste my time anymore in putting in the effort in this market.

Not looking for a job, but this is interesting commentary as I am looking to buy a condo in the NYC area(Gold coast of NJ, Williamsburg, etc.). Have been on the sidelines in this environment and it seems as if it has a bit to go – most of these places have 30% + employed in financial services.

its ugly, i just got a couple offers but its been a while since ive worked and both offers came from people I know. without that id still be searching.

I think guys with many years (like 10) of experience are the ones who are going to have tough times to find a job. Companies are probably more willing to hire more junior people, since they can pay them less, and then train them.

recentcornellgrad Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Not looking for a job, but this is interesting > commentary as I am looking to buy a condo in the > NYC area(Gold coast of NJ, Williamsburg, etc.). > Have been on the sidelines in this environment and > it seems as if it has a bit to go – most of these > places have 30% + employed in financial services. Give it another year…the hit to EOY bonuses this year and the incremental job losses in finance that will occur over the next 6-9 months (the job market is backwards looking) will really hit real estate hard. Especially the areas surrounding Manhattan – I understand Manhattan prices holding up well but god knows what has been keeping Brooklyn prices at their current levels; theyre headed for a serious correction.

i agree younger people are better off in this market environment.

The company I work for has hired new analyst and associates.

In London here, there are people hiring, mainly in areas that you prob don’t wanna work in that do well during bad times like Treasury services. I have been invited to a surprising amount of interviews in the past few months and people are hring, just more selective. I’ve been aiming at buy side though. Sell side large banks have invited me too but same scenario as what some other poster described before - it was cancelled before it even started etc. Ive ended up landing a place on buy side. fingers crossed and hope to ride out these bad times there.

I am surprised to hear London is better off than NYC (anecdotally anyway). I thought concentration (not total #) of Finance jobs in London was even higher than NYC. I would expect things to deteriorate in the near future…if for nothing else the sheer # of folks looking for work.

its true, im not saying that the job market is better here, im just talking personal experience. It has gone a bit quiet over the past few weeks though. 6 months ago it was getting worse i.e diff headhunters calling me about the SAME role (which was pulled in the end anyway) and then the last few months it was only buy side. Now maybe its cos I stopped looking but I don’t get many calls these days.

I think the bloodletting in the UK and Eurozone just laggs the US by a few months. UK also has housing problems (though I think they are not *quite* as leveraged - to the extent that small differences matter). I’m less sure about what’s happened on the Continent, but now we have Lady Bambi back, who might be able to fill us in.