How's the NY job market?

Any color? Thanks.

Its fine for everyone I know that still have jobs (in all seriousness). If anything, it looks like it will pick up soon.

I mean this in contrast to a few months ago or last year where people were scared of losing their jobs. Most of my friends who still have jobs now are not nervous and are just super busy because they are doing more work with less people. Hence, the firms will probably need to take on more people soon.

improving a bit but not drastically. Trend seems like hiring contractors/consultants to complete the project though.

Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Any color? Purple

philip.platt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I mean this in contrast to a few months ago or > last year where people were scared of losing their > jobs. Most of my friends who still have jobs now > are not nervous and are just super busy because > they are doing more work with less people. Hence, > the firms will probably need to take on more > people soon. Doesn’t exactly fit my particular firm but in general I think this sums it up the NY market fairly well. Particularly the more work with less people. I think hiring though is going to be more dependent on whether the more work is translating to higher revenue levels.

My experience of buyside shops is that the majority of people got let go by end of 1QY09. If they made it through that, I haven’t see any layoffs since then. That being said, my buyside shops aren’t hiring either, so I would echo the sentiment that there are less people doing more work, which will be the “new normal”

JasonU Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > philip.platt Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I mean this in contrast to a few months ago or > > last year where people were scared of losing > their > > jobs. Most of my friends who still have jobs > now > > are not nervous and are just super busy because > > they are doing more work with less people. > Hence, > > the firms will probably need to take on more > > people soon. > > > Doesn’t exactly fit my particular firm but in > general I think this sums it up the NY market > fairly well. Particularly the more work with less > people. I think hiring though is going to be more > dependent on whether the more work is translating > to higher revenue levels. Yeah - exactly. Until they reach higher revenue levels, they will be unable to add more expenses to their companies and budgets.