HP 12c Platinum

Anyone feel the Platinum version is worth replacing my seven year old HP12C - thought maybe I’d reward myself after passing L1, with the tough L2 coming in June. Is it faster or have other significantly useful advantages? THANKS

no. you’re an idiot for thinking so.

I actually found that it ran slower than my trusty original HP in NPV/IRR calcs. It can run in non-reverse-polish notation, but if you are already used to that then it is a useless feature.

Platinum is slower than the original But 25th anniversary version fixed that speed problem Go to amazon and read the reviews.

I just tested my 12c comprared to the 25th anniversary on the calculation of Interest given PV, PMT, and n. The 12c took on average ~10 seconds longer to calculate i versus the 12c platinum 25th anniversary.

Thanks. And this thread just goes to show that if you listen and don’t just call people “idiots” like the first guy, you might actually learn something. Yes, it’s valuable enough for me to cut 10 seconds off NPV calculations to buy the 25 yr anniv edition. Thanks again!

Thanks. And this thread just goes to show that if you listen and don’t just call people “idiots” like the first guy, you might actually learn something. Yes, it’s valuable enough for me to cut 10 seconds off NPV calculations to buy the 25 yr anniv edition. Thanks again!

You are willing to shell out $100+ for a 10sec saving in computation time??? I have to second skiloa above: you’re an idiot for thinking so. Make sure you get one with padded corners, lest you hurt yourself with it.

It’s $79 and, yes, waiting for the answer during the test from 25 year-old technology bugs the hell out of me. Get a job, take a pill, whatever it takes - just relax!

I agree txcany, the less time you waste waiting for an answer from a calculator the better, especially if you have 1.5 minutes per question. Watching as the screen says “Running” bugs me

Then, get the TI. Runs much faster.

I use both…Got a second hand 12c really cheap and then got a T II anyways. I am used to both and I actually save time in the exam…There are things I like doing on 12 c and some on T-II [Thanks to all the practise I have had during my Masters exams]

used the old version 12C for 20 years Now have a platinum - has a nice steel face - writing much easier to read (for me anyway) Also have a platinum anniversary edition - unfortunately back to the black face again! - harder to read. On the speed issue - can’t tell the diff - won’t make a diff with exams. CFA exams had very few calcs, and certainly no heavy calcs - never saw “running…” once. If you’ve got a 7 year old 12Ca and it still works (they go forever until you drop it - then the screens tend to break) - stick with it…

I think 10 seconds saved per calculation is not an unreasonable benefit to pay $79 for on an exam like this. For everyday use, I suppose it would be silly, unless you were flush with cash. And there’s no reason you couldn’t sell your old one on Ebay after you got the Platinum, so the net cost would probably be substantially less… maybe $20.

(1) I had to buy a new HP12c cuz my daughter barfed on my old one. The buttons on the new one weren’t as nice as the buttons on the old one. The old one was made in brazil, new one made in china. (2) I finished all 3 cfa exams and I NEVER, repeat NEVER, waited 10+ seconds for the “running” thing to run. The math isn’t that hard on the actual test. Good luck.

I think the BA II Plus Professional is boss. It’s only 60 bucks.