HR, do these guys ever know what they are doing?

Last week I interviewed people, they somehow managed to bring in canidates that have *nothing* to do with the role while strategically *not* bringing in candidates referred that have an obvious fit. Do these people know anything about the field they are hiring for? I’m guessing they become strongly influenced by the recruiters calling them instead of doing their job objectively, somehow they got sold on some person that is the stupidest choice in the world, then all these meetings get set up…only for us to say…are you kidding me? Man this guy was an outright fail. :confused:

our HR dept. is the same way. we to interview a ton of people - all hopeless wrecks. we then ask for every single resume that has been submitted, find a few quality guys, bring them in and hire them. when we ask why those people weren’t brought in, hr just stares at us blankly. it’s the same old song and dance

uhhh…HR sucks period. It makes absolutely no sense to me why some F500 companies allow their HR divisions to do a majority of the screening. I’d rather leaf through a few hundred resumes and do it myself than to waste 3 hours interviewing some failure at life.

That’s exactly it, heck give me the stack, I can find a few potentials in 20min…we’ve been waiting 6wks, nothing to show but one guy who at least had a nice personality.

So the best way to get a foot in the door is to make your resume somewhat irrelevant then bring in the real resume to the interview…GENIOUS!

I think HR is mostly focused on not being sued. They are pretty weak at most other things. CEO to HR: Did you get sued this quarter? HR: Nope. CEO: Great job! If you can not get sued again next quarter then give yourself a raise.

Yeah, I was going to say…for solid candidates you may not be getting a call back because HR are idiots, don’t take it personally. Consider the “CFAcountry” idea.

I agree with CFAcountry. It seems like you need two resumes. One to pass the HR screen and then the “real resume” to present when you actually get the interview.

…make sure to include “dynamic team player” and a bunch of other meaningless things like “ran a marathon”, HR loves that stuff. Bicept size? Could be relevant. Leave “black scholes…” for the real resume.

purealpha Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > …make sure to include “dynamic team player” and > a bunch of other meaningless things like “ran a > marathon”, HR loves that stuff. Bicept size? > Could be relevant. > > Leave “black scholes…” for the real resume. HR: Better toss this guy he thinks this job has something to do with black holes…

gik48 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > purealpha Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > …make sure to include “dynamic team player” > and > > a bunch of other meaningless things like “ran a > > marathon”, HR loves that stuff. Bicept size? > > Could be relevant. > > > > Leave “black scholes…” for the real resume. > > > HR: Better toss this guy he thinks this job has > something to do with black holes… the frickin moron didnt even spell “holes” right

purealpha Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Leave “black scholes…” for the real resume. HR: clearly a racist, ding.

I have a friend of a friend who figured out a way to cheat the HR resume screening system a few years ago. All websites have code that you can’t see unless you dig into the source page. Websites used to “trick” search engines by placing all sorts of keywords throughout this code that would be picked up by the Googles/Yahoos/MSNs of the world. Anyway, he took his resume and was able to “hide”, aka tiny small white font, all sorts of trigger words throughout his resume. So his resume was riddled with Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Yale, Princeton, MBA/CFA/CPA/ASA/PhD/MA/MA/etc… I’m sure more than a couple of companies caught onto it, but I think for the most part his resume ended up in the hands of HR after passing through their “strenuous” filtering process. He has a pretty sweet gig now so whether or not it was a result of his bypassing the system I wouldn’t know.

Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have a friend of a friend who figured out a way > to cheat the HR resume screening system a few > years ago. All websites have code that you can’t > see unless you dig into the source page. Websites > used to “trick” search engines by placing all > sorts of keywords throughout this code that would > be picked up by the Googles/Yahoos/MSNs of the > world. > > Anyway, he took his resume and was able to “hide”, > aka tiny small white font, all sorts of trigger > words throughout his resume. So his resume was > riddled with Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Yale, > Princeton, MBA/CFA/CPA/ASA/PhD/MA/MA/etc… I’m > sure more than a couple of companies caught onto > it, but I think for the most part his resume ended > up in the hands of HR after passing through their > “strenuous” filtering process. He has a pretty > sweet gig now so whether or not it was a result of > his bypassing the system I wouldn’t know. Now thats real genious…

Oh, I thought it was black shoes I had to know about. I complimented my HR person on hers.

I definitely don’t want to defend HR, but I think there is a lot of nuance between various roles in finance sometimes and it’s not always obvious to non-indutry insiders what the differences are. I interviewed someone a while back who had 20 years of analytical experience at a major sell side shop along with a top 10 MBA and a CFA – he seemed like he would be a good fit for an analyst role, and I can see why he would have made it past the HR screen (or in this case, a recruiter, but basically the same thing). I was surprised to learn that he didn’t understand how a company can use its balance sheet to create or unlock shareholder value, he was a total P&L guy. It was actually more than a little scary, as any “real” investor (not sell side journalist) would have been able to answer the questions I was throwing his way. Anyway, yes, HR is retarded, but there is a lot of nuance as well and people sometimes underperform their resumes.

lets be honest - how many of you guys actually use black-scholes for some job-related purpose? yeah, thats what i thought. now, im not saying you dont know what it is or how to use it - you do, because of CFA exams - but i think you should take it off the ‘real’ resume too

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > lets be honest - how many of you guys actually use > black-scholes for some job-related purpose? yeah, > thats what i thought. > > now, im not saying you dont know what it is or how > to use it - you do, because of CFA exams - but i > think you should take it off the ‘real’ resume too ^-- reaaaaallly :)? anyhow, in all my experience HR was only taking care of paperwork and we got to select resumes/work with recruiters - but that is in IT

I’ve been waiting on my offer in writing for 1.5 weeks now thanks to HR. We’re on a hiring freeze too. I wonder how/why they’re so busy at being mediocre.

I got an unsolicited call for a supply chain manager position last week. Given I don’t even know what a supply chain does, I really think HR doesn’t have a clue. Yes, I am going to interview for it regardless. We’ll see what happens.