Hyperbole in Salutations

I hate it when people write “thanks” at the end of the email. What if I’m not going to do it? What are you thanking me for? I prefer no sign off if it’s quick back and forth. Cut the crap, get to the point.

What do you guys think about just writing “Goodbye”? Or, even just “Bye” if you don’t like the person? Okthanksguby, E

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What do you guys think about just writing > “Goodbye”? Or, even just “Bye” if you don’t like > the person? > > Okthanksguby, > > E Inappropriate.

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Does anyone else get sick of all the ridiculous > salutations in business emails? I used to write > “Best Regards” until I realized that it was > insincere to say I was giving every single person > my very BEST regards, so I changed it to “Run of > the Mill Regards”. Do you this is okay in a > business setting? Will people appreciate the > honesty, or do you think I am overanalyzing? “Run of the Mill Regards”. You are doing the CFA, get with the programme. It should be “Mean Regards with Standard Deviations.”

If I saw someone end an e-mail ending with “Run of the Mill Regards,” first I’d literally lol then send them a message back saying they’re my hero. That’s awesome if you really do that, eureka. I tend to overuse “Sincerely” only bc I can’t think of anything better. “Regards” sounds good in a very formal setting, but only then. I’ve used “Take care” recently when I want to give it a personal touch without sounding too formal, but not to people I don’t know.

How about “kisses!”. Too much?

“I love you.”

“You complete me”

I have been known to sign off with “kisses,” though not in english.

I hate the use of regards in emails. It’s lame IMHO. I’ll use “Thanks”, “Thank You”, or nothing (with my name). I also hate the phrase “no worries”…although I used it today (gag).

When I was in a graduate programme a couple of years ago they used to send us for some general training courses from time to time. One of them was in formal writing etiquette. The guy recommended you start a business email by addressing the person by their first name only and finishing with regards. So your email reads: John, body text body text body text body text body text body text body text body text body text body text Regards, Carson I still use that as my default template. If writing an actual letter, the equivalent is to open with ‘Dear Mr. X’ and then finish with ‘yours sincerely’. The thing about email signatures that always bugs me is people telling me to ‘be green and keep it on the screen’. It always comes across as condescending to me. I very rarely print emails and if I do, it’s usually for a good reason. I don’t need a smug message from someone I don’t know telling me to think ‘green’!