Hyperbole in Salutations

Does anyone else get sick of all the ridiculous salutations in business emails? I used to write “Best Regards” until I realized that it was insincere to say I was giving every single person my very BEST regards, so I changed it to “Run of the Mill Regards”. Do you this is okay in a business setting? Will people appreciate the honesty, or do you think I am overanalyzing?

I think that’s a perfectly reasonable way to sign off on an e-mail. You really want to save your best regards for the best situations. Sending any acquaintance your run-of-the-mill regards seems like a considerate thing to do; best regards simply aren’t things that you throw around lightly, if you ask me.

What is a “regard” anyway? I’ve always hated the closure “regards.” It’s one of the most milk-toasty valedictions I can possibly think of. I almost always use “Sincerely,” for any business writing where I don’t know the recipient personally. I will use “Sincerely yours,” whenever I feel “extra” sincere. I’ll use “Yours sincerely,” when I know the person a little bit, and I’ll use “Cheers,” “Best,” or “Hope all is well,” if I’m reasonably familiar with someone I’m writing. I just sent a letter closing with “Hope all is groovy,” though that’s for a special class of friend.

I never use “Yours”.

Thanks, numi, for validating my concerns. Do you all think it is okay to write “CFA Regards”, since you are using the sacred acronym as an adjective, or do you think it is better to just put the CFA after your name? I guess it might be best to do both, just to be sure the recipient gets the point?

pfffftt! “Regards” are only for people who couldn’t gard the first time.

I worked with a guy who made the they’re / their mistake in his ending salutation (some bs about always doing your best). He had it for years until some kid in his early 20’s pointed it out in a group email (probably smirk). To his defense he was a programmer and the message was so long that i doubt anyone took the time to read it.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > pfffftt! “Regards” are only for people who > couldn’t gard the first time. Dear god that was awful… but I liked it.

I always use best regards because I always give my best regards. I use “kindest regards” or “warmest regards” when I am pissed and people can see that I am being facetious. It is obvious from the content of the email that I am not giving them my warmest regards and they f’ed up.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > I’ve always hated the closure “regards.” It’s one > of the most milk-toasty valedictions I can > possibly think of. > I believe the proper spelling is “milque-toasty”. Love, Brent.

tepid regards.

What do you think about just writing “Salutations,”? Maybe a little too Carmen Sandiego?

The people I know, who know what they are doing, never have a pointless salutation at the end, cause oh ya, it is pointless. When you are done just end by ending.

I have “Please consider the environment before you print this email, and if you do print this email I will shove the paper back up your dolphin hating as$”

^ okay the only thing better than ending by ending, is ending like that…classy!

In an email, I like to send egards.

I generally say: Thanks, L3BeatIt I think people can see through the bul$s%it with Best, Kind Regards, etc.

In my country it’s almost written in the Corporations Law that your emails must finish with “kind regards” or plain old “regards”. I’ve never seen best regards. I’ve never concluded an email with “yours sincerely”. “Yours sincerely” is for times when my signature goes on paper in ink, or at least via a .jpg file from the signature bank.

Here is my letter. When I’m finished writing pertinent information is when you stop reading. So I don’t add a regards. Maybe a Thanks -Name

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Does anyone else get sick of all the ridiculous > salutations in business emails? I used to write > “Best Regards” until I realized that it was > insincere to say I was giving every single person > my very BEST regards, so I changed it to “Run of > the Mill Regards”. Do you this is okay in a > business setting? Will people appreciate the > honesty, or do you think I am overanalyzing? Ha ha, I am so changing mine to “run of the mill regards” Go screw yourself, Art