I am starting to learn HP 12c

Can someone show me how to do complex chain calculations? This is why RPN is so useful right? I don’t know if this is a good example but here it goes: ((18x2)+(3-27)) / ((4+3)+(2-6)) + ((3x2)*(6/2)) / ((3-2)*(5-2)) + 2 = ? I read the manual, but they only give really simple examples.

18 enter 2 x 3 enter 27 - + 4 enter 3 + 2 enter 6 - + / etc.

well right after this: ((18x2)+(3-27)) / ((4+3)+(2-6)) do you have to store this number, and then start a new chain for the second expression and then recall the stored value and add them? i’ll have to try some more when i get home.

no. think of it like a stack after every operation the result is at the top of the stack. when you hit 18 enter, 18 is at the top of the stack. when you hit 2, 18 goes down to the next position in the stack so the stack is r1 - 2 r2 - 18 now when you press “x” it operates on the top two registers in the stack and the result goes to the top of the stack. now stack is r1 - 36 etc.

Technically, nothing needs to be stored, everything is “chained” up so to speak. After you have entered the chain of execution from ryanwtyler’s email, just continue so, 3 enter 2 x 6 enter 2 / * 3 enter 2 - 5 enter 2 - / then do A) or B) (it’s the same) A) + 2 + or B) 2 enter + +

thanks for the tips so far. but when i try to do both methods (A & B in adalfu’s post), I get 2 different answers. The real answer is 10, and option B gives me that. But option A is giving me 26. let’s say we drop the +2 at the end. how do you calculate that?

do you understand whats going on? with the stack?