I feel like I'm so behind

Failed band 10 last year: read schweser and 80% of the CFAI text. Did most of the CFAI EOC questions last year, and 3 practice exams but didn’t take notes and didn’t view any lectures. So this year: Planned to start in January… got some of it done half-assed in jan and feb due to snowboarding trips, a vegas trip, and a bachelor party in NO (mardi gras)… Finally turned down a snowboarding trip (this weekend) after Mammoth got 15 feet of snowed dumped in a single week! =( Now its almost the end of March and I’m in the middle of Equity (section 12 of 18 study sessions)… taking full notes while reading stalla, doing practice problems at the end of each session, and viewing the lectures. Haven’t done any CFAI EOC questions yet. 70 days left… wondering if I should keep going with this game plan or switch it up. Current game plan: Finish stalla books while taking notes (6 more study sessions left) Finish stalla lectures (7 more left) Do CFAI EOC questions Take 3 Stalla practice exams Take CFAI sample exams and mock And if I still have time, take some Schweser practice exams from previous years. What do you think?

How much free time will you have the last month? For a band ten retaker I think that’s where it will be won or lost.

you have loads of time

If you were band 10 last year, you’ve probably already got sufficient grasp of most of the important concepts. You time would probably be better spent doing problems than doing bulk-reading. To streamline your reading, you may consider using your 2010 score report, and focusing on any areas where you scored <50%. Maybe read both Stalla and CFAI for those particular sections. Spend the month before the exam working on practice exams (not reading). Make sure that you are going to nail the IPS questions on the exam: do all of the old morning L3 exams that CFAI has posted on their website.

programmer, You did most of the CFA EOC and 3 practice exams and you still fail?

programmer, just time to notch up the studying. you’ll be fine. i’m finishing up my full read of SS17 and 18 this week and april begins my EOC’s. i failed band 8 and while the reading it all over again is taking far more time than i wanted, it’s sort of making me remember the curriculum again which i think is important b/c it all fits together. just get into your groove, the last 4-6 weeks are really what make or break you. i have full faith that you’re going to crush it.

im at the beginning of ss13 and its my first time taking L3. Kinda feel the same way in terms of being behind but I also feel like every a-hole who finished their third reading of the material months ago loves to post their achievement on this forum. Self-reporting bias much?..

Dude you are fine – I am just wrapping up Risk Mgmt doing the same exact plan as you (Stalla with notes). You have more than enough time – just have to put in a few extra hours here and there.

How far for each topic will the following take me? 1. Doing stalla study guide without any questions 2. Doing all stalla lecture notes 3. Doing all CFAI EOC questions 4. Doing all stalla mock and practice exams 5. Doing CFA past exams and if time permits their mock and sample example ; Due to lack of time may have to let go stalla PM and CFAI in chapter examples. Am I compromising too much? Thanks!

Posted by: cmb7 (IP Logged) Date: March 27, 2011 04:07PM “im at the beginning of ss13 and its my first time taking L3. Kinda feel the same way in terms of being behind but I also feel like every a-hole who finished their third reading of the material months ago loves to post their achievement on this forum. Self-reporting bias much?..” This. Study the way you study. Having already seen exam III, you’ve already got an advantage. Personally, I only ever judge my study progress against how well I know my own expectations and goals. NEVER against an anonymous board.

Thanks guys, makes me feel better… I just finished Equity. Moving on to Risk Management. Still to do: Alt Investments Derivatives Perf Eval and Attribution Execution of Port Decisions and GIPS Hoping to finish with 5 weeks to review instead of 3 weeks like last year so I gotta pick up the pace and get through more than one study session per week.