I have a Non American/Canadian Last name....

wtf is a canadian or american last name?. unless it is Nanathathtith or Narragansett or Algonquin or some such, they are all immigrant names.what you wanna say is that you dont fit into the WASP male profile.

Dsylexic Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > wtf is a canadian or american last name?. unless > it is Nanathathtith or Narragansett or Algonquin > or some such, they are all immigrant names.what > you wanna say is that you dont fit into the WASP > male profile. All I’m saying is a stiuation where 2 people have extremely similar work experience, credentials and education and a hiring manager is looking at both of their resumes. Both guys are born and raised in toronto but resume 1 belongs to John Smith and Resume 2 Belongs to Vilathya Balasubramanian ( this is a real name and he’s actually head of global IT services for a large software maker). So even though both guys were born and raised in Canada, I feel there is a better chance of John Smith having his resume pushed forward “FOR A CLIENT FACING/INTERACTING” role because there is nothing on V’s resume that states he was born and raised in toronto, so I think if V added 1 line to his resume "Language Skills: English (native speaker), Punjabi (conversational), this will level the playing field a bit.

sure,stereotypes are difficult to crack. i’ll bet vilathya balassubramian will find no such trouble in the silicon valley.heck, sterotypes are institutionalized -the Fed reserve is dominated by people of Jewish extraction (at the chairmen level) ,perhaps no coincidence.

Did you not goto school in Canada? Is not all your ECs/Accomplishments in Canada? I know tons of Asians and East Indian people in banking/trading in Toronto, who did not change their name.

I work in a very people-oriented field and it is definitely a benefit to having an easy-to-pronounce name. My junior analyst is Asian and to top it off he has a thick Asian accent so whenever he introduces himself no one understands what he says his name is and refers to him as “you” throughout the entire meeting. This happens in 90% of the meetings I take him to. Then when he hands out his business cards half the time people call him by his last name because it is hard to tell which one is his first name. Even funnier is when he sends emails, sometimes he gets replies from people calling him “Mrs.” or “Ms.” because they can’t tell if he’s male or female.

You shouldn’t change your name. It’s your father’s last name and part of who you are. At least that’s what I think. I’m sure you wouldn’t want to work for a company that hires based on name. Lot of people with non-traditional American/Canadian names have been successful in their fields, including Barack Obama, Carlos Ghosn, Arnold Shwarzenegger, Yao Ming. Oh yeah, Elliott Spitzer :slight_smile:

I would never CHANGE my name. But I do want to change the potential stereotype associated with my name and show that I am not new to this country and do not have any potential language issues.

could you legally get an alias?

Also how does Navid Mahmoodzadegan sound?

myzegna Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Also how does Navid Mahmoodzadegan sound? sounds persian

SeanC Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > myzegna Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Also how does Navid Mahmoodzadegan sound? > sounds persian Sounds like he uses Chatori and Hovig alot in conversation no? ( I have some persian friends)

I think that putting English (native speaker) on your CV sounds insecure. I have a very non-English sounding name and I would never consider writing that I can speak English on my CV because both my CV and covering letter should make that quite obvious. If any employer puts someone forward for a client facing role because of their name, then I’m obviously not missing much by missing out on a job there. An employer who makes the assumption that John Smith would speak better English than Mr Balasubramanian in a cosmopolitan city in this day and age is obviously limiting itself.

i have non-american name, surname and middle name

anyone else spend their youth running out of little boxes on standardized test scantrons’ name fields??

how about your middle name? if it is easier/american sounding, you can use the format firstname middlename. just like tom cruise mapother goes by tom cruise.

cielito Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think that putting English (native speaker) on > your CV sounds insecure. I have a very non-English > sounding name and I would never consider writing > that I can speak English on my CV because both my > CV and covering letter should make that quite > obvious. > “because both my CV and covering letter should make that quite obvious” Both your CV and Cover letter could have been professionally edited for $100 online or through any career services/resume help center.

Dsylexic writes: “wtf is a canadian or american last name?. unless it is Nanathathtith or Narragansett or Algonquin or some such, they are all immigrant names.what you wanna say is that you dont fit into the WASP male profile.” Yeah, I’m sure he offended the multitudes of natives trolling around in this forum. Or at least the 2 that have gov’t-sponsored Internet access.

Have you considered thinking outside of the box and, say, switching careers? Perhaps transportation (esp. taxis) or janitorial services?